Trail conditions

  • yalpsdlihc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hi,
      Has anyone seen the condition of the John Muir trails?
      I am starting on July 14 from Glacier Point.
      Thanks,

      Peggy
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "yalpsdlihc" <psusoeff@s...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > Has anyone seen the condition of the John Muir trails?
        > I am starting on July 14 from Glacier Point.
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Peggy

        Hi Peggy,

        As of now it is still a bit 'iffy'. I hiked the Pahono Trial last
        week and got my JMT permit for July 13. I will most likely hike Snow
        Creek Trail out of the valley to Tenaya.

        The Rangers are not encouraging people to do the Trail right now.
        That being said the first pack of PCT's have made it to Touloumme and
        their is an ultra-marathoner out their running through the Sierras.

        I did not get into the High Country but from those I spoke to there is
        hard pack snow at the 8000' level and heavy snow over the passes. The
        creek crossing also are dangerous.

        I have been monitering different lists and also logging on to
        trailjournals.com and am debating bringing an ice ax.

        In any case timing your passes will be very important as there will be
        soft snow mid-morning and the footprints easier to walk through.
        Depending on the mileage/day you intend it may take a day or two extra
        to complete the trail.

        frank
      • yalpsdlihc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "yalpsdlihc" <psusoeff@s...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > Has anyone seen the condition of the John Muir trails?
          > > I am starting on July 14 from Glacier Point.
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Peggy
          >
          > Hi Peggy,
          >
          > As of now it is still a bit 'iffy'. I hiked the Pahono Trial last
          > week and got my JMT permit for July 13. I will most likely hike Snow
          > Creek Trail out of the valley to Tenaya.
          >
          > The Rangers are not encouraging people to do the Trail right now.
          > That being said the first pack of PCT's have made it to Touloumme and
          > their is an ultra-marathoner out their running through the Sierras.
          >
          > I did not get into the High Country but from those I spoke to there is
          > hard pack snow at the 8000' level and heavy snow over the passes. The
          > creek crossing also are dangerous.
          >
          > I have been monitering different lists and also logging on to
          > trailjournals.com and am debating bringing an ice ax.
          >
          > In any case timing your passes will be very important as there will be
          > soft snow mid-morning and the footprints easier to walk through.
          > Depending on the mileage/day you intend it may take a day or two extra
          > to complete the trail.
          >
          > frank

          Thanks Frank,
          That is good information about the snow being softer midmorning.
          I am going really slow. I will not even get to Touloume until July 18th.
          So I'm hoping as it gets later into the summer.... less snow.
          I also bought a pair of Yaktrax that fit onto the bottoms of my boots.
          and have hiking poles. As far as taking longer that's not a problem as
          I have the summer off. Thanks for the information.

          Peggy
        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
            Hi all,

            The Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP website has the latest
            information on trail conditions from Bishop/Taboose
            Pass to Whitney: http://www.nps.gov/seki/trailcdt.htm

            Anyone interested in doing Kearsarge to Whitney?

            --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "yalpsdlihc"
            > <psusoeff@s...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > > Has anyone seen the condition of the John Muir
            > trails?
            > > I am starting on July 14 from Glacier Point.
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Peggy
            >
            > Hi Peggy,
            >
            > As of now it is still a bit 'iffy'. I hiked the
            > Pahono Trial last
            > week and got my JMT permit for July 13. I will most
            > likely hike Snow
            > Creek Trail out of the valley to Tenaya.
            >
            > The Rangers are not encouraging people to do the
            > Trail right now.
            > That being said the first pack of PCT's have made it
            > to Touloumme and
            > their is an ultra-marathoner out their running
            > through the Sierras.
            >
            > I did not get into the High Country but from those I
            > spoke to there is
            > hard pack snow at the 8000' level and heavy snow
            > over the passes. The
            > creek crossing also are dangerous.
            >
            > I have been monitering different lists and also
            > logging on to
            > trailjournals.com and am debating bringing an ice
            > ax.
            >
            > In any case timing your passes will be very
            > important as there will be
            > soft snow mid-morning and the footprints easier to
            > walk through.
            > Depending on the mileage/day you intend it may take
            > a day or two extra
            > to complete the trail.
            >
            > frank

            Best regards,

            Thomas

            Thomas Taylor
            tgtaylor7@...
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
          • sandy paterson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
              I am starting on the JMT from Lyell Canyon traihead on the 15 th JUly. Can anyone give me any advice on how I get from Merced/Yosemite to Tuolomne Meadows ? I am from the UK and basically know how to get to merced and Yosemite but not how to get to Tuolomne.

              If you are on the trail around the 15th look out for a pair of Scots and an englishman struggling through the snow.

              Sandy

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, sandy paterson
                <sandypaterson52@y...> wrote:
                > I am starting on the JMT from Lyell Canyon traihead on the 15 th
                JUly. Can anyone give me any advice on how I get from Merced/Yosemite
                to Tuolomne Meadows ? I am from the UK and basically know how to get
                to merced and Yosemite but not how to get to Tuolomne.

                > If you are on the trail around the 15th look out for a pair of Scots
                and an englishman struggling through the snow.

                > Sandy

                YARTS goes to Tuolomne

                http://www.yarts.com/

                good luck

              • Ewa Bialkowski
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011
                  We are passed Rosalie Lake. Snow makes for slow going. Not all tracks in the snow are safe to follow. Nav can be tricky Snow melting fast and conditions are changing daily.

                  Ewa