Re: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 195

  • Exceptional Feature Film
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2005
      Im still trying to find a trail to jerimah hopefully wiyh lite buses have mountain bike also those aquatics are to thick on 154 out of santa barabara mobileexception@... looking for new club like hostel international with cards books etc the hostel turned out fraud regretfully.Howard S Kowalski bus routes etc just cheap

      johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com wrote:There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. AP: Snow Shutters Some Yosemite Campgrounds
      From: "dive_hike"
      2. Gas stove canister question
      From: "Dana Clemensen"

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:31:13 -0000
      From: "dive_hike"
      Subject: AP: Snow Shutters Some Yosemite Campgrounds

      I've never seen this before! But Tioga Road will be open on
      Friday. Here is the story:

      YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. - Heavy snow dumped on the Sierra
      Nevada this winter will keep some of Yosemite National Park's
      popular high country campgrounds closed for the summer.

      Although crews managed to cut through enough snow to predict a
      Friday opening of Tioga road — which crosses the Sierra from east
      west — officials said the snow is too deep in some spots to allow
      several high-elevation camps to open at all.

      Some of the campgrounds are buried in 12 feet of snow. Glen Aulin,
      May Lake, Sunrise, Merced Lake and Vogelsang, at elevations ranging
      from 7,200 to 10,300 feet, will remain buried or too soggy to use
      all summer long, park officials said.

      Fifty-six tent-cabins that accommodate 204 people are also closed
      for the season.

      That means 3,400 people will have their reservations canceled. They
      will be offered a refund or a chance to transfer their reservation
      to next summer.

      http://news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050622/ap_on_re_us/brf_yosemite_snow_1

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:31:00 -0000
      From: "Dana Clemensen"
      Subject: Gas stove canister question

      I am leaving for a thru hike of the JMT on Aug 5th. I am in the
      process of putting together my food drops for Reds Meadows, VVR & MTR
      and I am trying to figure out how many canisters I need to include in
      each drop.

      I am taking 21 days for the hike thru, I am doing it solo, and I will
      just be boiling water for Breakfast and Dinners. I am using a Snow
      Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo.

      Can anyone give an estimate on how many total canisters I might be
      using and how many I should include in each food drop.

      Thanks,

      Dana Clemensen