AP: Snow Shutters Some Yosemite Campgrounds

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22 6:31 PM
      I've never seen this before! But Tioga Road will be open on
      Friday. Here is the story:

      YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. - Heavy snow dumped on the Sierra
      Nevada this winter will keep some of Yosemite National Park's
      popular high country campgrounds closed for the summer.

      Although crews managed to cut through enough snow to predict a
      Friday opening of Tioga road — which crosses the Sierra from east
      west — officials said the snow is too deep in some spots to allow
      several high-elevation camps to open at all.

      Some of the campgrounds are buried in 12 feet of snow. Glen Aulin,
      May Lake, Sunrise, Merced Lake and Vogelsang, at elevations ranging
      from 7,200 to 10,300 feet, will remain buried or too soggy to use
      all summer long, park officials said.

      Fifty-six tent-cabins that accommodate 204 people are also closed
      for the season.

      That means 3,400 people will have their reservations canceled. They
      will be offered a refund or a chance to transfer their reservation
      to next summer.

      http://news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050622/ap_on_re_us/brf_yosemite_snow_1