Re: [John Muir Trail] Weather - Lingering Snow?

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2005
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
      wrote:

      > The National Park has 'winter conditions' posted for
      > all passes. Plan accoringly.
      >

      > Best regards,
      >
      > Thomas

      I think this is excellent advice. Many of the PCT'ers are
      flip-flopping out of KM to Seattle or Manning this year because of the
      snow conditions.
      A few have made it through the Sierra but these are people with very
      good mountaineering skills. The 'leaders' are equipped with ice axes
      and crampons.

      Last year I started the JMT on June 20th. The snow melt was about 30
      days earlier than a normal year. I would venture a guess that the
      snow melt this year will be about 30 days later. The good news is by
      going SoBo it will be aditional days before Forrester. But you will
      still find 'hard snow' till about 11 AM and watch the thunderheads.
      It is still storming in CA. So plan your passes carefully, and not
      all bootprints are necessarily leading in the 'right direction'.