Re: [John Muir Trail] estimated time

  • LEBRUN
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
      Your girls may be fine, you may be the sore one....
      I got my first contact from hubby (56) and son (17)  today :)

      'hey mom I only have this computer for twenty more minutes. we are at VVR, we have come 130 miles in ten days and we are on schedule and planing to stay on schedule all the way to yosemite. Dad is sore but hanging in there and im pretty good, not very sore anymore, just filled my stomach with a vvr burger and some free spaghetti, love you and see you when we get back : )

      VVR is also their first food cache since they took advantage of the bear boxes the first part of the trip. They came from the South (Horseshoe Meadows) and will end in Yosemite (Happy Isles) in 7 days (Aug 10) plus hit Half Dome before the crowds. Their only other food drop is TM Post Office. Coming with the sun on your back also allows for the solar pac to recharge on the back of the backpack for the ipod for nighttime movies :)

      Don't know how old your daughters are, but my guys plan to do it in 18 days: most 10-16 miles a day (one day 17.65 and another 6.1 with one day off...tomorrow!... probably for more pie eating time)
      Hubby brought two sons last year and had to bail two days short of finishing because of foot pain in older boy (he stayed home this year preparing for college)
      Best luck and congrats on getting your daughters backpacking. Our 26 yr old daughter greatly benefited by it.
      Stacy

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM, d <dc_t63@...> wrote:

      Some of you may have seen some of my quieries previously and I have yet another. I walked from Roads End of Kings Canyon through the Rae Lakes loop and continued southward to Whitney Portal, to include a climb to Whitney's summit and did it in 8 days. Based on that rate of travel, what would be a ball park figure for completing the JMT in it's entirety? I did recognise the fact that as the days wore on, my girls and I were getting in much better shape. I am trying to figure out how many days worth of meals I should plan for.

      _

    • dc t
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2010
        Stacy,

            Thank you for the insight.  I think you are right since I am no spring chicken anymore and I probably will be the sore one. LOL.  My girls are 20 and 22 and I took them on that Rae Lakes to Whitney trip that I mentioned.

        Don