Re: [John Muir Trail] resupply

  • Matt Ruby
    Message 1 of 56 , Aug 2, 2010
      I feel that for most hikers, they are best off, resupplying in tm, mammoth lakes grocery store, vvr scavenging, and mtr, there also are pluses and minuses to sending a resupply to the independence post office.  Why carry so much food, when it is very convenient to resupply?

      Matt
      Message 56 of 56 , Oct 13, 2014
        Gail - I had a homemade Reflectix cozy on the trail this year (about 1.2 oz., used for freezer-bag-cooking dinners), and a chocolate  bar stored inside the cozy (and inside the pack) between meals held up well on the trail. Didn't try shipping any chocolate bars in resupply, but bought replacement chocolate bars in places like Mammoth and Independence. Other chocolate strategies: cocoa nibs in my snack pack with almonds and pumpkin seeds, homemade hot cocoa mix with organic cocoa, Better Than Milk soymilk powder, and either sugar or stevia; and Nature Valley Oats and Dark Chocolate trail bars from Costco.
        --Betty