RE: [John Muir Trail] Amtrak checking in pack

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
      You're on the trail by now, but I've taken AMTRAK a bunch of times . . . you'll be asked to keep your backpack downstairs, unless you manage to get it upstairs and stowed in one of the small racks or maybe under your table, if you get one. I've never "checked in," but rather just boarded and it's never been a problem––again, it's just sowed downstairs with a few other bags and bikes . . . I usually go down and check it out when they stop at one place for a long time.

      BOB

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: targetdoggmechanic@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:30:45 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Amtrak checking in pack

      Hello all,

      Leaving on my JMT trip tomorrow. It will be my first time using Amtrak, so I was curious for those that have used Amtrak before did they give you any issues checking in a pack as luggage for either carry on or checked baggage? Any precautions I need to take, is it ok to check it like it is, or should I pack it in a box, tie the straps down, tape it up, etc. Just wondering if they scutinize as much as the airlines do.

      Thanks!