Re: [John Muir Trail] resupply

  • Greg Kittridge
    Message 1 of 56 , Aug 2, 2010

      I did Red's Meadow and MTR. I did pack way too much food, though. Depending on your daily mileage goals, remember you can get dinner and breakfast at Sunrise High Sierra Camp, food at T. Meadows, food at Reds, food at VVR, etc. Factoring in all those yummy hot meals can significantly lower what you need to carry, at least on the first half of your hike.

      On Aug 1, 2010 10:39 PM, "d" <dc_t63@...> wrote:

      I plan on walking from north to south and I was wondering about the best places to resupply along the way. I have my own ideas, but since I have not done the whole trip at one time I am open to people's ideas and advice. I am in good shape and I tend to carry more than what most people are comfortable with, so I can go a long ways. Typically, I can carry about 10 to 15 days worth of supplies at a shot, though, I wouldn't mind trimming some pounds off my pack weight. So far I have gotten great info from this group and I am sure I will not be disapointed. Thanks.

    • jamiedon
      Message 56 of 56 , Oct 13, 2014
        Gail - I had a homemade Reflectix cozy on the trail this year (about 1.2 oz., used for freezer-bag-cooking dinners), and a chocolate  bar stored inside the cozy (and inside the pack) between meals held up well on the trail. Didn't try shipping any chocolate bars in resupply, but bought replacement chocolate bars in places like Mammoth and Independence. Other chocolate strategies: cocoa nibs in my snack pack with almonds and pumpkin seeds, homemade hot cocoa mix with organic cocoa, Better Than Milk soymilk powder, and either sugar or stevia; and Nature Valley Oats and Dark Chocolate trail bars from Costco.
        --Betty