Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: ticks on the trail?

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hantavirus is always something I worried about. I can't count the number of times I've sat on a rock in the sierras that had rodent droppings on it. The last time I was at the Buck Camp ranger cabin I noticed that the rodents were all over the cabin, and in the walls etc. The rangers had only shut down for the season about a week prior.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
        Eeeew!  How terrible.  I'm glad the JMT is basically free of them.  Think I'll leave my tick tool at home.

        Carole

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
          Yikes!  Maybe I'll keep that tool in my pack...

          While I have never found a tick in the "High Sierra", they are prevalent here in the eastside canyons.
          This summer we have had two known cases of "Relapsing fever" caused by tick bites (one near fatal).
          On another note, we also have had two cases of Hanta virus (both near fatal).

          JD
          www.johndittli.com

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "carewarner" <carewarner@...> wrote:

          > It just occurred to me...are there any ticks out there on the JMT to speak of?
          >
          > Carole

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
            Leave it at home. If you were hiking at Pt Reyes or Henry Coe State Park etc  I'd say take it but I doubt you'd see them above about 4000 ft. I hiked the sierras for over 25 years and never heard of one there.

            Yikes!  Maybe I'll keep that tool in my pack...

            While I have never found a tick in the "High Sierra", they are prevalent here in the eastside canyons.
            This summer we have had two known cases of "Relapsing fever" caused by tick bites (one near fatal).
            On another note, we also have had two cases of Hanta virus (both near fatal).

            JD
            www.johndittli. com

            --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "carewarner" <carewarner@. ..> wrote:

            > It just occurred to me...are there any ticks out there on the JMT to speak of?
            >
            > Carole

          • John
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
              I'm with Kim, I don't think I'd take it (don't even know what one is). But again, they are some what common over here on the eastside (especially in spring) to around 7,000 feet. So if you re-supply or do any post trip activities over here, just keep an eye out.

              JD
              www.johndittli.com