ticks on the trail?

  • carewarner
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2010
      It just occurred to me...are there any ticks out there on the JMT to speak of?

      Carole
    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
        My understanding is that ticks are primarily a problem in the Foothills & the Coastal Mountains, and these are the only areas where I've found them on myself, and primarily in the spring. I've never heard of them in the high sierras. I did find one website that talked about ticks of California and it didn't mention any in the higher elevations. I was also able to find a map of tick exposure and the counties which the sierras are in reported the least exposure.

        Be glad you aren't here in Minnesota. On my last long hike Memorial Day weekend on the Superior Hiking Trail I stopped briefly at the first campsite and found about 10 around the fire ring & benches. My third day I had to hike awhile in a grassy area and could see them on the tops of the grass waiting for me. I walked through that stretch swishing my poles around to knock them off. Needless to say I used plenty of Deet.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
          Hi Carole

          While I have never found a tick in the "High Sierra", they are prevalent here in the eastside canyons.
          This summer we have had two known cases of "Relapsing fever" caused by tick bites (one near fatal).
          On another note, we also have had two cases of Hanta virus (both near fatal).

          JD
          www.johndittli.com

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "carewarner" <carewarner@...> wrote:

          > It just occurred to me...are there any ticks out there on the JMT to speak of?
          >
          > Carole

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
            Hantavirus is always something I worried about. I can't count the number of times I've sat on a rock in the sierras that had rodent droppings on it. The last time I was at the Buck Camp ranger cabin I noticed that the rodents were all over the cabin, and in the walls etc. The rangers had only shut down for the season about a week prior.

            While I have never found a tick in the "High Sierra", they are prevalent here in the eastside canyons.
            This summer we have had two known cases of "Relapsing fever" caused by tick bites (one near fatal).
            On another note, we also have had two cases of Hanta virus (both near fatal).

            JD
            www.johndittli.com

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "carewarner" <carewarner@...> wrote:

            > It just occurred to me...are there any ticks out there on the JMT to speak of?
            >
            > Carole

          • Carole Warner
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
              Eeeew!  How terrible.  I'm glad the JMT is basically free of them.  Think I'll leave my tick tool at home.

              Carole

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
                Yikes!  Maybe I'll keep that tool in my pack...

                While I have never found a tick in the "High Sierra", they are prevalent here in the eastside canyons.
                This summer we have had two known cases of "Relapsing fever" caused by tick bites (one near fatal).
                On another note, we also have had two cases of Hanta virus (both near fatal).

                JD
                www.johndittli.com

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "carewarner" <carewarner@...> wrote:

                > It just occurred to me...are there any ticks out there on the JMT to speak of?
                >
                > Carole

              • Kim Fishburn
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                  Leave it at home. If you were hiking at Pt Reyes or Henry Coe State Park etc  I'd say take it but I doubt you'd see them above about 4000 ft. I hiked the sierras for over 25 years and never heard of one there.

                  Yikes!  Maybe I'll keep that tool in my pack...

                  While I have never found a tick in the "High Sierra", they are prevalent here in the eastside canyons.
                  This summer we have had two known cases of "Relapsing fever" caused by tick bites (one near fatal).
                  On another note, we also have had two cases of Hanta virus (both near fatal).

                  JD
                  www.johndittli. com

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "carewarner" <carewarner@. ..> wrote:

                  > It just occurred to me...are there any ticks out there on the JMT to speak of?
                  >
                  > Carole

                • John
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                    I'm with Kim, I don't think I'd take it (don't even know what one is). But again, they are some what common over here on the eastside (especially in spring) to around 7,000 feet. So if you re-supply or do any post trip activities over here, just keep an eye out.

                    JD
                    www.johndittli.com