Re: Entering Manic Mode

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 1, 2010
      When my wife and I started JMT in 1969 we took Greyhound from Bakersfield to Merced and another bus to the Valley. Arrived in a camp and discovered we had no forks or spoons. they were supposed to be packed in the cooking set so I didn't bother to check. A half mile walk to the store got us some plasticware.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ann Pfeil" <AlohAnn@...> wrote:

      > Aloha All!
      >

      > With only ten days remaining until I fly to Fresno I find I'm still
      > volleying back and forth between pieces of equipment, all the while working
      > and renovating a cabin. Argh! Which means I'm about to enter "Manic
      > Mode". Happens every time before a hike. Do I have everything? Has
      > everything been taken care of at the house? Have I answered all my
      > HandyAndyDandyMan's questions on the cabin? Is the well driller set to go?
      > How many meetings do I have next week? Should I remind the office that I'm
      > almost physically gone and 98% mentally gone already? Gotta put the last
      > two mail drops together. Need to set up the lawn kid. Need to .. What
      > about.. Did I... on and on and on and on and... I'm sure you know how it
      > goes. I accept the fact that you probably can't help me with the majority
      > of the issues but I know you can help me balance out a few bouncing thoughts
      > in my soon to be manic mode brain! As always it's a debate between comfort,
      > warmth and weight. With that said, which do you recommend/take?
      >

      > 1. Inflatable air mattress or closed cell foam pad (i.e RidgeRest,
      > ZRest)
      >
      > 2. If an inflatable, which? If closed cell, which?
      >
      > 3. Silk bag liner? (Taking Western Mountaineer Ultralight (15*))
      >
      > 4. JetBoil or Pocket Rocket?
      >

      > As always, thanks in advance for your words of wisdom. I pretty much (98%)
      > know what I'm taking I believe I just want to hear the forum's soothing
      > tones. Or just talking hiking and gear!
      >

      > Aloha! Ann

    • dc t
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 11, 2010
        I second what Judy says about hand sanitizer. Having not read all the responses I am sure I will be repeating what others have said, but here goes anyways.  From personal experience, cleanliness is your best defense against any intestinal ailment. Having deployed to the mideast, I am proud to say that my squad was the only squad out of my company that wasn't hit by stomach ailments.  I attribute that to my being a tyrant about washing hands after taking care of "business", ensuring that my guys didn't just pee anywhere and that everything was covered up, away from water points and away from where people would normally go. Always washing before eating. Seems overly simple, but it worked for me.