RE: [John Muir Trail] Cap 1 only long johns or also montbell down liners

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
      Last year I carried smart wool long john bottoms and Montbell Thermawrap pants.  Based on that experience the Thermawraps are staying home this year.  I did sleep in them many nights but didn't feel they were necessary.  I think I wore them for awhile one morning but again didn't feel they were necessary given the weight.  I use a quilt which I didn't have a lot of experience with last year so thought of the pants as part of my sleeping system.  I wouldn't recommend you bring them unless you are ok carrying the weight and are really concerned about warmth.  If I was using a 35-40 degree bag then I would probably bring them.  With a 30 and below bag no.

      From: underwoodjjd@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:52:25 -0700
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Cap 1 only long johns or also montbell down liners

      I keep going back and forth on bringing my 8 oz down montbell pants in addition to my patag cap 1 long johns.  I am bringing the down jacket.

      I realize I can always go into my bag at night if it is cold, but the option of being able to be outside if I wanted or if it get really cold sounds good.  I am bringing rain pants.

      Any thoughts on this?  The consensus I have those I have spoken to so far is "leave them".

      Thanks.

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2010
        leave the down pants . . . and unless you're really freaked about getting your lower half sprinkled on or wet, leave the rain pants . . . they'll just turn into a sauna.

        BOB

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: underwoodjjd@...
        Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:52:25 -0700

      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
          I sleep with my thermo pants and UL fleece jacket (I have an old down bag). It got really cold about 3 or 4 nights mostly because of the elevation we where in. In the morning I would wear what I sleep in till I got warm up. I ship 9lbs of gear when I got to Independence

          From: Jim Underwood <underwoodjjd@...>
          Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:52:25 -0700 (PDT)
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>