RE: [John Muir Trail] Entering Manic Mode

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 1, 2010
      Chill out Ann--In ten+ days you'll be in hiking paradise.  Everyone enters the frenzy mode during prep time and comes through the other side just fine. The more you do this the shorter the periods of frenzy. The more you hike the more confidence you'll have in your equipment and your ability to use it.  This doesn't answer your questions for now but by the time you finish the hike you'll be able to provide your own answers because you will have found out what works for you and what doesn't.
      My personal ideas regarding your questions are in line with Judy.

      1. Inflatable air mattress for comfort.
      2. I use a Neoair short with a 1/8" GG foam pad for added insulation.
      3. No to the silk liner. You shouldn't need it with a 15 degree bag unless your thinking of going against the grain and plan to hike low and  camp high.  You may have a few nights of below freezing temps depending where you camp.  Between the bag and your clothing you will have no problems.
      4. I use a canister stove to keep my kit small and light.  The JetBoil to me is heavy and bulky and the only advantage is may have is fuel savings due to quick boil times.  In 2011 JetBoil is coming out with a smaller model in titanium at about half the weight of the current units.

      Enjoy yourself out there Ann.

      From: AlohAnn@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:23:21 -0400
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Entering Manic Mode

      Aloha All!

      With only ten days remaining until I fly to Fresno I find I’m still volleying back and forth between pieces of equipment, all the while working and renovating a cabin.   Argh!  Which means I’m about to enter “Manic Mode”.  Happens every time before a hike.  Do I have everything?  Has everything been taken care of at the house?  Have I answered all my HandyAndyDandyMan’s questions on the cabin?  Is the well driller set to go?  How many meetings do I have next week?  Should I remind the office that I’m almost physically gone and 98% mentally gone already?  Gotta put the last two mail drops together.  Need to set up the lawn kid.  Need to ……  What about…… Did I……. on and on and on and on and…..  I’m sure you know how it goes.  I accept the fact that you probably can’t help me with the majority of the issues but I know you can help me balance out a few bouncing thoughts in my soon to be manic mode brain!  As always it’s a debate between comfort, warmth and weight.   With that said, which do you recommend/take?

      1.       Inflatable air mattress or closed cell foam pad (i.e RidgeRest, ZRest)

      2.       If an inflatable, which?  If closed cell, which?

      3.       Silk bag liner? (Taking Western Mountaineer Ultralight (15*))

      4.       JetBoil or Pocket Rocket?

      As always, thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.  I pretty much (98%) know what I’m taking I believe I just want to hear the forum’s soothing tones.  Or just talking hiking and gear!

      Aloha! Ann

    • dc t
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 11, 2010
        I second what Judy says about hand sanitizer. Having not read all the responses I am sure I will be repeating what others have said, but here goes anyways.  From personal experience, cleanliness is your best defense against any intestinal ailment. Having deployed to the mideast, I am proud to say that my squad was the only squad out of my company that wasn't hit by stomach ailments.  I attribute that to my being a tyrant about washing hands after taking care of "business", ensuring that my guys didn't just pee anywhere and that everything was covered up, away from water points and away from where people would normally go. Always washing before eating. Seems overly simple, but it worked for me.