RE: [John Muir Trail] Amtrak checking in pack

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 9:52 AM
      I've never personally taken a pack on Amtrak but this may help

      http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/index.cfm/travel-info/baggage-guidelines/

      As I remember there is plenty of room for carry on storage. There are no security lines. You get a ticket and climb aboard.  There is a size restriction for carry on--28"x22"x14" and the usual restrictions regarding bombs etc.

      Hopefully someone can chime in with some recent personal experience before you leave.

      Have a great trip!

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: targetdoggmechanic@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:30:45 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Amtrak checking in pack

      Hello all,

      Leaving on my JMT trip tomorrow. It will be my first time using Amtrak, so I was curious for those that have used Amtrak before did they give you any issues checking in a pack as luggage for either carry on or checked baggage? Any precautions I need to take, is it ok to check it like it is, or should I pack it in a box, tie the straps down, tape it up, etc. Just wondering if they scutinize as much as the airlines do.

      Thanks!

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 11:55 AM

        --- On Sun, 8/1/10, targetdoggmechanic <targetdoggmechanic@...> wrote:

        Hello all,

        Leaving on my JMT trip tomorrow. It will be my first time using Amtrak, so I was curious for those that have used Amtrak before did they give you any issues checking in a pack as luggage for either carry on or checked baggage? Any precautions I need to take, is it ok to check it like it is, or should I pack it in a box, tie the straps down, tape it up, etc. Just wondering if they scutinize as much as the airlines do.

        Thanks!
        Dogg,
        I have used Amtrak on multiple occasions and have not had any problems with my pack either way.  If carried on;  I was told I may have to set the pack in my lap, which I didn't--it  fit under the seat.  I also check the bag to go in the cargo hold which turned out fine.  The risk is your pack getting mangled by a mass of hard sided luggage from the Bulgarian hockey team being thrown on top.  A bent stay could ruin your day.
        My advice is carry it on--most occasions, there will be plenty of room for your bag on the bus or train, and if not, it will be thrown on top of the pile if you are hassled by an over zealous conductor.  I found all I came in contact with to be very cooperative.
        Scott

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 7:16 PM
          You're on the trail by now, but I've taken AMTRAK a bunch of times . . . you'll be asked to keep your backpack downstairs, unless you manage to get it upstairs and stowed in one of the small racks or maybe under your table, if you get one. I've never "checked in," but rather just boarded and it's never been a problem––again, it's just sowed downstairs with a few other bags and bikes . . . I usually go down and check it out when they stop at one place for a long time.

          BOB

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: targetdoggmechanic@...
          Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:30:45 +0000