Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: JMT Trip Report

  • Linda Reitz
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1 1:03 AM

    • wpkolkho
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1 8:52 AM
        Great trip report! Most enjoyable. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your accomplishments!

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jake Krong <jake.krong@...> wrote:

        > Here are the rest of the daily recaps and photos... best of luck to all of
        > you headed out in August!

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 9 11:40 PM
          Thanks for taking me on the virtual trip. It looks like the snow was about the same as when we did it in Aug '82, a little more in some places and a little less in others. Marie Lk is the same as we saw it but in mid July '83 it was completely covered with slushy ice. One question tho. If you lost weight and could only push out your stomach to flat, why the DIET Dew?

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jake Krong <jake.krong@...> wrote:

          > Hi all -
          >
          > I've started posting our JMT trip report on my blog. Could be of interest
          > for those heading out in August. It will take me another couple days to
          > finish stitching pictures and organizing everything, but I have a few pages
          > already online. I'll update this email thread once I get the rest of the
          > day-by-day accounts finished. We are also working on a 10-15 minute video
          > which should provide some entertainment, especially our accounts of the
          > massive July 17th rain/hail/lightning storm and the creek crossings of the
          > following day.
          >
          > Here's what I've done so far:
          >
          > Quick Recap and Pics:
          > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-quick-recap.html
          >
          > Day 1: http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-1.html
          >
          > Day 2: http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-2.html
          >
          > Getting to Yosemite:
          > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-road-to-yosemite.html
          >
          > Gear list:
          > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/john-muir-trail-gearlist.html
          >
          > Food:
          > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/223-miles-worth-of-food.html
          >
          > Jake

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 10 10:44 AM

            Great trip reports and amazingly clear photos – wish I was back there! Thanks so much for posting - Barbara

            href="http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-1.html">http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-1.html

            href="http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-2.html">http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-2.html

            href="http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-road-to-yosemite.html">http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-road-to-yosemite.html

            href="http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/john-muir-trail-gearlist.html">http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/john-muir-trail-gearlist.html

            href="http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/223-miles-worth-of-food.html">http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/223-miles-worth-of-food.html

            > Jake

          • Jake Krong
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 10 10:48 AM
              hmdsierra - haha the diet dew bottles were last minute additions to the resupply. Of all the times that "unleaded" dew might have been ok, this trip was probably the time... but then again, I don't want to know what I'm missing by drinking the fake stuff :-)

              Barbara - Thanks! Now we are trying to figure out which photos to frame, which is a process that seems to be taking even longer than the hike!

              On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:40 AM, hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Thanks for taking me on the virtual trip. It looks like the snow was about the same as when we did it in Aug '82, a little more in some places and a little less in others. Marie Lk is the same as we saw it but in mid July '83 it was completely covered with slushy ice. One question tho. If you lost weight and could only push out your stomach to flat, why the DIET Dew?

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jake Krong <jake.krong@...> wrote:

              > Hi all -
              >
              > I've started posting our JMT trip report on my blog. Could be of interest
              > for those heading out in August. It will take me another couple days to
              > finish stitching pictures and organizing everything, but I have a few pages
              > already online. I'll update this email thread once I get the rest of the
              > day-by-day accounts finished. We are also working on a 10-15 minute video
              > which should provide some entertainment, especially our accounts of the
              > massive July 17th rain/hail/lightning storm and the creek crossings of the
              > following day.
              >
              > Here's what I've done so far:
              >
              > Quick Recap and Pics:
              > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-quick-recap.html
              >
              > Day 1: http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-1.html
              >
              > Day 2: http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-day-2.html
              >
              > Getting to Yosemite:
              > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/jmt-road-to-yosemite.html
              >
              > Gear list:
              > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/john-muir-trail-gearlist.html
              >
              > Food:
              > http://wasatchandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/07/223-miles-worth-of-food.html
              >
              > Jake

            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 10 12:00 PM
                "Most unexpected moments of entire trip –

                A: Ridiculous hail/thunderstorm on Day 4 (was told it doesn’t ever rain
                in the Sierra Nevadas!)"

                please do tell where you got your pre-trip information :-)

                you were lucky to move so fast, because you missed a much more
                ridiculous storm by just a day. That second storm tied us down for 24
                hours in the tent, with waves of lightning within 1/8th of a mile for
                most of the time we spent there (near Rae Lakes, 7-25-7/26).

                After the storm it also got colder in the Sierra than I recall from even
                late September hike. We're talking 40 degrees and high winds all day
                long in late July. It can snow any month in the Sierra (it snowed on
                Whitney yesterday), and rain is much more common, especially in the
                "monsoon season" in July. Basically, August is about the only month you
                may run into a 2 week no-precip window.
              • Jake Krong
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 10 12:18 PM
                  Andrea's "told it never rained" in the Sierras comment was in relative jest; after spending most of the past year in Colorado with me, where afternoon t-storms were not a matter of if, but when, I had told her that the chances of rain in the Sierras during this trip would be dramatically lower. Of course we had originally planned on an August trip, after the monsoon, where that would have been even more accurate... but that being said, after that storm system rolled through, we hardly even saw a cloud for the next 5 days, which is a stretch like I never experienced while living and hiking in CO! Overall we thought the weather was fantastic!

                  I'm glad you came out of the 7/25-26 storm ok... sounds like a really bad one to be stuck in the tent for so long... I would have gone crazy! Its really scary when lightning is that close and you just have to wait it out.

                  On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

                  "Most unexpected moments of entire trip –

                  A: Ridiculous hail/thunderstorm on Day 4 (was told it doesn’t ever rain
                  in the Sierra Nevadas!)"

                  please do tell where you got your pre-trip information :-)

                  you were lucky to move so fast, because you missed a much more
                  ridiculous storm by just a day. That second storm tied us down for 24
                  hours in the tent, with waves of lightning within 1/8th of a mile for
                  most of the time we spent there (near Rae Lakes, 7-25-7/26).

                  After the storm it also got colder in the Sierra than I recall from even
                  late September hike. We're talking 40 degrees and high winds all day
                  long in late July. It can snow any month in the Sierra (it snowed on
                  Whitney yesterday), and rain is much more common, especially in the
                  "monsoon season" in July. Basically, August is about the only month you
                  may run into a 2 week no-precip window.

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Peter Burke
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 10 12:30 PM
                    On 8/10/2010 2:18 PM, Jake Krong wrote:
                    Andrea's "told it never rained" in the Sierras comment was in relative jest; after spending most of the past year in Colorado with me, where afternoon t-storms were not a matter of if, but when, I had told her that the chances of rain in the Sierras during this trip would be dramatically lower. Of course we had originally planned on an August trip, after the monsoon, where that would have been even more accurate... but that being said, after that storm system rolled through, we hardly even saw a cloud for the next 5 days, which is a stretch like I never experienced while living and hiking in CO! Overall we thought the weather was fantastic!

                    good to know - we are thinking of doing the Colorado Trail on mountain bikes in the coming years, and that weather info may just change those plans. We are spoiled by Sierra summers.

                    I'm glad you came out of the 7/25-26 storm ok... sounds like a really bad one to be stuck in the tent for so long... I would have gone crazy! Its really scary when lightning is that close and you just have to wait it out.

                    the lightning wasn't a huge problem once we realized that it was probably Fin Dome getting nailed every time it sounded close. However, spending almost a full day with two 12-year-olds in a small tent will certainly drive you mad, or at least you will feel like it's time to start up hiking well before the storm is over :-)

                    Peter

                  • mdundas11
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 21, 2011
                      We just got back from an aborted attempt at the JMT.
                      The Valley to TM was really slow and difficult. Mostly snow and no footprints to follow. I'd recommend starting the trip from TM or Parker/Mono Pass. As others have pointed out, it was 100% snow from Donahue to Thousand Island lakes. But lots of footprints to follow since by then you're on the PCT. I didn't have skip poles or gators but wish i did.

                      By this time we were a day or so behind schedule, so we had to skip ahead. ( we only had 14 days, i'd recommend at least 18 in these conditions ) We didn't really know many places to join the JMT so we left the trail at Mammoth and hiked back in at Kearsarge Pass( its at Onion Valley campground out of Independence ). There was ALOT less snow down here. Plus very heavily traveled. No problems at all. Forester Pass wasn't that bad. ( tho i heard it gets a little icy in the morning ). It was just Yosemite that slowed us down. Another recommendation is to do it from South to North. The passes are apparently easier and also that gives you 2 more weeks of additional snow melt in Yosemite.
                    • Cheryl Talbert
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 21, 2011
                        Thanks for the note!  We are starting from the south (Piute Pass trail), hoping to come out at Happy Isles, and do have poles, gaters and YakTrax.   What kind of pace were you able to maintain from TM to Mammoth?  Any particularly dangerous passes or crossings?

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 21, 2011
                          It took us 2 days. We stayed on the High Trail of the PCT from Thousand Island lake to Agnes Meadow / Mammouth. The JMT takes you up to Shadow Lake which looks beautiful but we were wanted to stay on the more heavily traveled path. Some great views on the high trail and no snow.

                          The only possible challenges for you are the stream crossings from Island Pass to Donahue. They were thigh high for us but not too bad. And Donahue itself. Dropping from Donahue into Lyell Canyon will be a little steep in the snow, but there are very good steps.

                          PS: be sure to follow the footsteps coming down off Island Pass so you stay on route...
                        • jwrenonv
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 21, 2011
                            We are starting at Cottonwood Pass on August 13th. I am glad to hear the southern part is starting to clear out. It will be almost a more than a month from now before we go over Donahue. We decided in June to bump the start date back a few weeks. It is relatively easy to get a permit for Cottonwood pass if you are flexible on the start date. If you camp at Horseshoe Meadows the night before the trip you will have 3 nights at 10,000+ before going up to the top of Whitney to start the JMT.

                            Jeff

                          • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 29, 2014

                              Just returned yesterday from my JMT trip and figured I'd post some info. Started on June 20th at 7:15AM at Happy Ilses and submitted Mt. Whitney June 28th at 9:15 AM. We started out with 4 in our group, but one has to exit at VVR due to back and hip issues, and another that wanted to do some peak bagging and had some footwear concerns as well.

                              The trail was %99 snow-free. We had minor snow fields at Donohue, Muir, Glen, and Forester Passes, but it will be gone very soon! If you are going out in the next couple weeks, bring a head-net and lots of DEET! The mozzies were not too bad for us, except along Bear Creek, Marie Lake, and around Sunrise, but they were starting to hatch and multiply.

                              We ran into one other JMT Yahooer named Bruce Lemons who was also fast-packing the JMT as well. We leapfrogged each other multiple times the last few days and he submitted Whitney an hour or so before us. He was a strong hiker, and even with our earlier starts, he usually caught up with us in the day, usually on an uphill climb! I look forward to hearing his trip report as well.

                              Here was our daily mileage and camp spots. I haven't had a chance to double-check some of the mileages, as I'm going off of my JMT Atlas notes now.

                              Day 1- HI to Lyell Canyon, 28 mi. ( Picked UL overnight gear at TM )

                              Day 2- Lyell Canyon to Rosalie Lake, 22.9 mi.

                              Day 3- Rosalie Lake to Lake Virginia, 24.4. ( Reds Resupply )

                              Day 4- Lake Virginia to Marie Lake, 24.1 mi.

                              Day 5- Marie Lake to Evolution Lake, 24.0 mi., ( MTR Resupply )

                              Day 6- Evolution Lake to Upper Palisade Lake, 26.7 mi.

                              Day 7- Upper Palisade Lake to Lower Rae Lake, 25.0 mi.

                              Day 8 - L. Rae Lake to Crabtree Meadows, 28.5 mi.

                              Day 9- Crabtree Meadows to Whitney Portal via Mt Whitney.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 29, 2014
                                  Nice job Robert, sounds like a great trip!
                                • Joe MacLeish
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 29, 2014

                                    Robert:

                                    Were there a lot of people/  Crowded?  I'm starting next week - July 6.  As you know i will be slow- packing.

                                    Joe

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 29, 2014
                                      Thanks All! Joe, we must of hit the tail end of the PCT 'herd', as we saw many of them the first 3 days, than very few the last. We saw very few JMT hikers, but as July hits, I'm sure that will change. The mozzies will be in full force the next couple weeks, if what we saw was any indication. You probably won't have any snow to deal with. The snow was melting so fast it was making streams in the trail near the passes. Have a great trip!
                                    • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 29, 2014
                                        Roleigh, we had no issues finding water sources. The only long, dry stretch was the usual section from Deer Creek to Duck Creek. Our timing with few crowds, lack of horse and mule crap, weather, and few mozzies was 'lucky' or perfect timing for the JMT in a low snow year. There was definitely plenty of snow left up high, but it was really dry in the lower valley sections.
                                      • brucelem12
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 22, 2014

                                          I just returned a few days ago from JMT and other area hikes as well.

                                          It was great fun to see Robert (Perkins) on the trail! As he noted we were roughly matching itineraries through much of the hike. I always learn something from seeing very experienced hikers, and Robert's strong, smooth, fast and organized hiking style was no exception. I should have a little vid of he and his hiking partner Troy coming S down Forester that I can share at some point.

                                          Lot's of Yosemite and Mammoth area pre and post hikes for me, a Mammoth Crest (what gorgeous overlooks of the Lakes Basin!), and a Minaret Loop plus hike (just plain amazing!) being a couple of the biggest highlights this year. The wildflowers were amazing in early July this year too! Now to dig into 80 Gig of photo video editing. :)

                                          Bruce

                                          RollingTree.com

                                        • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 22, 2014
                                            Welcome back Bruce! It was great to meet you out there, and maybe we'll get a chance to do some hiking together one of these years! If anyone wants to see some great JMT photos, check out Bruce's site!
                                          • brucelem12
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 22, 2014

                                              Thanks Robert! That'd be great!

                                              Bruce