983Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: aaaccckkkk!

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Jun 2, 2005
      Ah John...sorry we do not have well cept one in Maine many crazy creek crossings on the AT....:) I do understand that feeling and guess since I am heavier than my hiking parnter I'll have to be the grounded one eh? :)

      thanks for the tips...I will certainly go upstream...:) are you hiking this year anywhere? We are hiking end of July into mid Aug...so maybe will be ok by then. Plus I heard things are really melting now although I have not checked the snowmeter...

      John Randall <sierra_marmot@...> wrote:
      Sorry, didn't mean to activate the freakometer. My daughter was 5'8,
      120 and she started to approach liftoff--that point where you feel
      your toes leave the bed of stream--and started to float downstream
      about half-way across Bear Creek. That was in July 1998, a very
      average year. Being taller (and much heavier) I was able to use a
      hand to help her step one at a time through the center channel.

      My suggestion would be to hike in August, late. If you have to hike
      earlier, when you reach the crossing--and if you determine it's not
      safe--then head upstream to your left and find a point where you can
      cross the creek. Someplace upstream you'll get wet but get across
      OK. You'll be able to rejoin the trail after an obvious cross-
      country. A half hour later and you'll be at Marie Lakes, a really
      beautiful spot on your hike.

      You'll do fine.

      john