950Re: [John Muir Trail] re: thru-hike questions
- May 17, 2005Eric,
wow great questions...I just got back from Trail Days in VA and while there compiled some of the same questions will be glad to read answers. I am hiking at the same time too..thanks have a great hike,
eric_s_bloom <ebloom@...> wrote:
I am planning to hike the JMT north to south in late
July-early August and had some questions I hoped to
find answers for here on the list.
1. Are flip-flops sufficient for stream crossings?
I usually carry a pair camp shoes, but would like
to use them in place of my boots for any places
I might saturate my boots.
2. What seems to be the best way to get to the trail?
I have read alot online and in a couple guidebooks about
this, but can't decide whether to fly into reno, LAX,
or SF. Any opinions?
3. Is the ground generally soft enough to use titanium
tent stakes, or should I bring a set that is more rugged?
(MSR Ground Hogs)
4. From what I have read, water seems to be available
along the trail so that I don't need to carry more than
2 liters at a time. Is this generally the case?
5. Since I am flying in, I can't bring fuel for my alcohol
stove. Is this available at the Yosemite trailhead?
6. Does anyone have advice on flying with my pack?
My current plan is to put my pack in a duffel bag and check it.
When I get there, I planned to leave the duffel bag in a
locker at the airport.
Thanks for the help,
Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to:
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>