9130Re: [John Muir Trail] North Lake / South Lake Loop preparations

    Jun 13 7:52 AM
      Blaney Hot Spring is near Muir Trail Ranch (JMT mile 107).  It requires a difficult river crossing over the river that feeds into Florence Lake (So Fork of the San Joaquin) -- once to get to the Springs and once to get back.  I suspect you will not be able to get over the river until late this season.  I did it in mid-July and late July last year (much easier crossing the second visit), but with the snow this year ..

      Nice place though.  I liked the adjacent Warm Lake (yes, that's it's name and it's description) even better -- it's a great swim.  Once you get across the river head to the low ground ahead and to your right.  (You will see some campsites and some rocks to your left.  Look for a meadow.  The springs and the lake are to the West side of the Meadow.

      Marked on this map:
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&om=1&msa=0&msid=102626430010297754856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&ll=37.233643,-118.884945&spn=0.023063,0.038581&t=p&z=15&iwloc=00046e3a78124b6235fc5

      GPS

      37.23394,-118.88195

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
      415-648-9279

      On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Kevin Balla <hikingjmt@...> wrote:

      Thanks all for your suggestions that was really helpful!  I spoke with the ranger today to get some more information on permits, and plan to buy a guidebook to the East Sierras, but want to book permits before they go so here are some of my questions off the top of my head:

      - What's the best trailhead to enter from?  South Lake (Bishop pass) or North Lake (Piute pass)?
      - Anyone have access to an elevation profile of this trail they could send me?  This may help decide which trailhead is better to enter from (in my opinion at least  :)  )
      - I've heard there may be a hot spring near the trail (Blayney hot spring)?  Can anyone access the hot springs?
      - How much would a shuttle cost (roughly) from trailend to trailhead?
      - I normally take a collapsible fishing rod with me on these trips -- anyone know of the best places to fish on this route?
      - And last but not least, are there any river crossings I should worry about?  We'll be going in early sept so water levels may be less of a concern, but still worth asking if we'll be getting our boots wet!

      Thanks again to everyone!
      Kevin