907Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: 2005 vs. 1982 Snow

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Apr 30 9:28 PM
      actually could you guys/girls blazing the trail in early/mid july just take some yellow fluorescent tape up with you and mark the trail.....?
      :) kidding...:0

      dive_hike <dive_hike@...> wrote:
      This year is about the same as '82 at this point. The Upper Tyndall
      Creek sensor registered 37.7" on April 30, 1982 (currently 39.6").
      The same is true at Mammoth - about the same. 1998 wasn't much
      worse at this point (46.5") but we had a very cool spring and a slow
      melt. Hopefully it will warm up soon!

      Hikers in late July / early August will probably experience similar
      conditions as your hike. You made a good point about route finding:
      although there are usually footprints to follow, it is helpful to
      have a general idea where the trail goes.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > I was sondering how the snow this year compares with 81-82? I did
      JMT
      > in '82. We started August 1 from Happy Isles and had snow on
      almost
      > every pass. The only ones that didn't have snow were Island Pass
      and
      > Trail Crest. We exited over Trail Crest August 25 so it had some
      time
      > to melt. Donahue Pass was hidden from the north side. People
      coming
      > from the south just came down the hill to the upper lake on the
      north
      > side. I though I had the trail but lost it soon so we just headed
      > straight up till we hit the top of the ridge then looked for the
      pass
      > and found it a hundred yards or so away. Most passes had some snow
      > with paths already punched out but the south side of Muir Pass was
      > solid snow to below Helen Lk. We had no real troubles with the
      snow
      > but it was there.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Ack...so we'll hit the some passes with snow...we are hiking
      mostly
      > in Aug...will check in later in May to see how things are
      going...is
      > anything melting out there? Its really still cold and raining here
      in
      > IN ...last SAT I ran in snow flurries...blah...
      > >
      > > vera
      > >
      > > dive_hike <dive_hike@y...> wrote:
      > > This is the heaviest snow year since '98. The north (Yosemite
      > > Mammoth) had an especially heavy snowfall year.
      > >
      > > Right now it looks like all passes will be clear around mid-
      August.
      > > For those hikers going in July - plan accordingly - you will be
      on
      > > snow on several passes. Try to cross the passes when the snow is
      > > soft (later in the day), especially Forester Pass.
      > >
      > > Hopefully we will have a warm spring. Enjoy!

      Service.