871Re: advise on muir ranch to Red's meadow needed

  • dive_hike
    Apr 12, 2005
      D, It is difficult to answer distance questions for another hiker.

      Can you make it to Sally Keyes Lake in 4 hours? It is all uphill
      with a gain of about 2600 feet. I'm not sure of the exact distance
      from Muir Trail Ranch, but depending on your load, how quickly you
      adjust to altitude and your conditioning ... it is probably possible.

      Don't worry about any of the downhill sections - the JMT is not that
      steep - unless you have a heavy pack and bad knees. The switch
      backs out of Tully Hole will slow you down, but Lake Virginia is
      worth it!

      From Lake Virginia to Red's Meadow is a nice easy downhill and you
      will make good time.

      My advice is to start early in the morning (I always try to be
      hiking by 6 AM - hike when it is cool) and then judge your distance
      at lunch. This is especially true if you need to stay on schedule
      to make your flight. The days are long in August and you can hike
      late to make distance.

      Oh, and my other advice - overtrain for your plan. If you want to
      do 16 miles per day, make sure you can hike 20 (work up to some
      practice hikes at that distance with your pack at the expected
      weight).

      I'm sure you will have a great trip!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "D" <Pukkmann@a...> wrote:

      > Hi....I am starting at Muir Ranch Aug. 20th and hiking to Happy
      Isles.
      > We have backpacked alot, but this will be our farthest yet ( 120
      > miles )...could someone help me with imput : if we start walking
      at
      > about 1:00pm, could we make it to Sallie Keys Lakes by say 5:00pm?
      and
      > how hard is that stretch....then, the next day it is an hour to
      Seldon
      > Pass, if that, but was wondering when we would get to Quail
      > Meadows,also just how hard is that downhill?...and if going on to
      > Pocket Meadow is at all possible?...then, the next day would be
      over
      > Silver Pass, then down and finishing at Lake Virginia ( after
      those
      > terrible switchbacks after Tully Hole )....then, from Tully Hole,
      could
      > we make it to Red's Meadow for a shower and a meal, and then
      continue
      > on to say, Johnson Lake to camp instead of a noisy Red's Meadow? I
      know
      > this is a long questionaire but, we are on a tight time frame, and
      need
      > to make plane reservations a few days later!!!...Thanks to all who
      > could help here....Doug
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic