838Re: [John Muir Trail] Looking for secret camping spots on JMT and more???

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Mar 24, 2005
      JD,
      thank you again..you know thats what I originally thought woman of encounters...its so true to be open to new things you learn much...JMT will certainly be more wilderness than I've been out east...I have not been too afraid of wilderness and have become over the last years a willing student of the outdoors...just something that started when I was young. You remind me of me on the AT list as one never knows what level of awareness newbies have so I will assure you that I am a former LNT trainer...no trenches for this girl...:) again tho thank you for your kind and helpful words...you remind me of things that I sometimes forget like LOOKING for water flows...:)

      I have been working for several years on getting my "needs" down to smaller list. I do like to carry 2 headlamps (no extra batteries) and 2 flame things and I do carry a pillow, oh I hear you all yelling and throwing up your hands now...but have you tried to sleep on the ground? :)I am experimenting with alternatives......but most everything else is little. I would appreciate a gear list from some of you experienced western hikers. Or maybe I'l post what I think I am bringing and you can tuckerize it...Clothing and food are my worst areas...when I am short term hiking I usually carry a small book...I think I will continue to do that and I mean journal, book, pen are all less than a pound. but I may just read the maps and trail book for next day and write in journal leave book...I normally do leave it. ACK...it is so hard being a newbie when I am an oldy on the east coast!! :0 yet it is such fun having the tables turned on me...

      I will comment more below....

      JDRows <jdrows@...> wrote:

      Hi Vera
      There are only half as many words in Spanish as in English so many words
      mean several things. Encuentros means both findings and encounters. A
      woman of encounters is someone not afraid of new experiences, new
      findings. She is open to what the Trail will show her. When you finish
      the JMT, you will be a Woman of Encounters.

      When planning the items you'll bring, make a commitment to do with
      less. You're in the wilderness. The closer you feel to the wilderness,
      the less "civilized" things you'll find you need.

      ****truely what a wonderful thing it is to get in a car after a long hike and freak out because 10 mph feels like light speed!! :)

      When you meet people on the Trail, they'll often ask you "Where did you
      come in?" and they'll mean "Where did you come into the wilderness",
      thus establishing a momentary bond between yourselves.

      ****out east we ask this and then generally identify ourselves with a silly name...a trail name ...a name that takes us out of the normal into the "wilderness" ...mine is the missing kink...:)

      You're smart to not be intimidated by asking questions. The only dumb
      questions are the ones not asked.

      Pick your tent site very, very carefully. Get down on your haunches and
      look at where you want to put your tent from different angles. If it
      rains in the middle of the night, will the rain come into your because
      of the adjacent ground surface slope? If you clear pine cones and rocks
      off the site you choose to avoid puncturing your sleeping mat, push the
      stuff you swept away back in the morning. Leave No Trace! Try to never
      dig a channel around your tent but if you do, always restore the ground
      after you break camp in the morning. Just good stewardship.

      ***Absolutely...and very important thank you for reminding us...there are other things out west that are more delicate then out east...what should I look for and NOT do because its LNT out west? does this make sense?

      My all-time tip for getting your miles in every day is, instead of
      taking breaks when you get tired, just go slower until you catch your
      breath and then pick up the pace again. I figured I saved over a
      half-hour a day that way which allowed me to bathe after getting to camp
      while it was warmer out, to rinse today's dirty clothes sooner and make
      myself a cuppa earlier. Don't forgo those scenery breaks. We want to
      see those photos!

      ***good advice...bathe..you can bathe in camp? wow cool...it feels so good...and I can't wait to see the scenary!! how is water is it generally available ie in stream form, lake, runoff, spring, mud hole? What kind of water purification do people use?

      If you haven't gotten the Tom Harrison JMT Trail Map package yet
      (essential!), get them at *http://tinyurl.com/44jft .

      **just ordered it today!

      Last piece of
      advice: ALWAYS know where you are on the map! *If you don't know, ask
      the next person you see. Learn to recognize topographical features.
      They'll assist in a heightened sense of security. Will you have an
      altimeter?

      ***do I need an altimeter..I can get one...even out east knowing where you are is a good thing...again great advice and I will follow...I used to teach orienteering so should be ok...should I bring a compass? guess so eh? on the AT one doesn't really need anything but a tiny watch compass that points N,E,S,W...

      thanks again JD...bring on more good advice...

      JD