837Re: [John Muir Trail] Looking for secret camping spots on JMT and more???

  • JDRows
    Mar 24, 2005
      Hi Vera
      There are only half as many words in Spanish as in English so many words
      mean several things. Encuentros means both findings and encounters. A
      woman of encounters is someone not afraid of new experiences, new
      findings. She is open to what the Trail will show her. When you finish
      the JMT, you will be a Woman of Encounters.

      When planning the items you'll bring, make a commitment to do with
      less. You're in the wilderness. The closer you feel to the wilderness,
      the less "civilized" things you'll find you need.

      When you meet people on the Trail, they'll often ask you "Where did you
      come in?" and they'll mean "Where did you come into the wilderness",
      thus establishing a momentary bond between yourselves.

      You're smart to not be intimidated by asking questions. The only dumb
      questions are the ones not asked.

      Pick your tent site very, very carefully. Get down on your haunches and
      look at where you want to put your tent from different angles. If it
      rains in the middle of the night, will the rain come into your because
      of the adjacent ground surface slope? If you clear pine cones and rocks
      off the site you choose to avoid puncturing your sleeping mat, push the
      stuff you swept away back in the morning. Leave No Trace! Try to never
      dig a channel around your tent but if you do, always restore the ground
      after you break camp in the morning. Just good stewardship.

      My all-time tip for getting your miles in every day is, instead of
      taking breaks when you get tired, just go slower until you catch your
      breath and then pick up the pace again. I figured I saved over a
      half-hour a day that way which allowed me to bathe after getting to camp
      while it was warmer out, to rinse today's dirty clothes sooner and make
      myself a cuppa earlier. Don't forgo those scenery breaks. We want to
      see those photos!

      If you haven't gotten the Tom Harrison JMT Trail Map package yet
      (essential!), get them at *http://tinyurl.com/44jft . Last piece of
      advice: ALWAYS know where you are on the map! *If you don't know, ask
      the next person you see. Learn to recognize topographical features.
      They'll assist in a heightened sense of security. Will you have an
      altimeter?
      JD

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic