833Re: [John Muir Trail] Looking for secret camping spots on JMT and more???

  • JDRows
    Mar 23, 2005
      Debbie
      98% of the JMT is a camping spot. Having a selected spot is too
      restricting. The Trail affects each one of us differently so I'd suggest
      you camp where it feels "right" to you.

      A satellite phone is a nice backup but then you really haven't gotten
      away from "civilization", have you? It boils down to comfort and maybe
      this time you take it and find out you didn't really need it so the next
      trek you don't carry that unnecessary weight. I'm not looking to impose
      my viewpoint on anyone, just present it for consideration. My feeling
      about phones is I'd be afraid they'd encourage behavior that one
      wouldn't normally take unless you can rationalize it saying to yourself
      "Oh, if I get lost or hurt, I can always call for a rescue". Remember
      that rescues can be charged to you and may cost in the 1000s.

      That said, there are rangers along the Trail. If you run into any, ask
      them for their favorite spots.

      You will love the Trail. In the mornings while you're still digesting
      the beauty of the day before, you start seeing so much new beauty, you
      almost say "Wait, I'm not done remembering everything I saw yesterday
      and the day . . ."

      If you go to VVR, when you go back to the JMT, if you start climbing
      before crossing the river, you've gone too far. Watch the Trail past
      Silver Lake Pass. Don't go towards the Lake.
      JD

      Debbie wrote:

      >I'm new to this group. I hang out mostly at backpacking light@ yahoo
      >groups...to glean ideas on lighting my load as I plan on going solo
      >unless my friend changes their mind…I think it's a bear issue =;-O,
      >I'm doing the JMT southbound Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney portal mid
      >August I plan on hiking 15 to 18 miles a day. I will hike the Happy
      >Isles to Tuolumne Meadows with my niece earlier in the season and do a
      >side trip up to half dome.
      >
      >So my first question is to all of you pro. JMTers are... I'm looking
      >for secret/special camping spots recommendations on the JMT???...Seems
      >like a lot of camping areas now are illegal, or well trodden or it's a
      >bear hang out. I love those special spots and appreciate you sharing
      >some with me, so thanks in advance. Feel free to contact me offlist.
      >
      >Second question, in case of emergency, coordinate food drop, pickup,
      >etc. I would like to have a phone with me, does cellular work? I have
      >"Sprint" and is it worth the weight to take, or should I go with a
      >rented satellite phone and does it work? as I have never used one.
      >
      >Third question is who's doing the JMT starting August 10th out of
      >Tuolumne Meadows; it's always nice to know a yahoo group member?
      >
      >Looking forward to my thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber time
      >on the JMT… Wildflower
      >
      >"Wonderful how completely everything in wild nature fits into us, as
      >if truly part and parent of us. The sun shines not on us but in us.
      >The rivers flow not past, but through us, thrilling, tingling,
      >vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making
      >them glide and sing. The trees wave and the flowers bloom in our
      >bodies as well as our souls, and every bird song, wind song, and
      >tremendous storm song of the rocks in the heart of the mountains is
      >our song, our very own, and sings our love." JM
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic