832Looking for secret camping spots on JMT and more???

  • Debbie
    Mar 23, 2005
      I'm new to this group. I hang out mostly at backpacking light@ yahoo
      groups...to glean ideas on lighting my load as I plan on going solo
      unless my friend changes their mind…I think it's a bear issue =;-O,
      I'm doing the JMT southbound Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney portal mid
      August I plan on hiking 15 to 18 miles a day. I will hike the Happy
      Isles to Tuolumne Meadows with my niece earlier in the season and do a
      side trip up to half dome.

      So my first question is to all of you pro. JMTers are... I'm looking
      for secret/special camping spots recommendations on the JMT???...Seems
      like a lot of camping areas now are illegal, or well trodden or it's a
      bear hang out. I love those special spots and appreciate you sharing
      some with me, so thanks in advance. Feel free to contact me offlist.

      Second question, in case of emergency, coordinate food drop, pickup,
      etc. I would like to have a phone with me, does cellular work? I have
      "Sprint" and is it worth the weight to take, or should I go with a
      rented satellite phone and does it work? as I have never used one.

      Third question is who's doing the JMT starting August 10th out of
      Tuolumne Meadows; it's always nice to know a yahoo group member?

      Looking forward to my thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber time
      on the JMT… Wildflower

      "Wonderful how completely everything in wild nature fits into us, as
      if truly part and parent of us. The sun shines not on us but in us.
      The rivers flow not past, but through us, thrilling, tingling,
      vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making
      them glide and sing. The trees wave and the flowers bloom in our
      bodies as well as our souls, and every bird song, wind song, and
      tremendous storm song of the rocks in the heart of the mountains is
      our song, our very own, and sings our love." JM
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic