795Re: [John Muir Trail] --> when to hike

  • hmdsierra
    Mar 2, 2005
      August/September is a great time to be in the High Sierra. My then 10
      year old son a friend and I started our JMT trip Aug 1 1982. It had
      been a heavy snow year and we had some snow on almost every pass.
      Island Pass was the only one with no snow. My friend had knee
      problems and dropped out at Devil's Postpile. My son and I continued
      on and finished Aug 25. In '93 my friend and I did JMT from South Lk.
      to Whitney leaving around the 28th of August and we had great weather
      the whole time ane no really cold nights. Our last night at Hitchcock
      Lks. gave us a warmer morning than I had experienced in early August a
      couple of years earlier. We often did trips in mid October and had
      good weather with chilly (really chilly)nights. On one of those Fall
      trips we went from South Lk. to Florence Lk. (LeConte - Evolution)and
      ran across a few people doing JMT thru hikes. I thought October might
      be a bit late for such a long hike as the weather could intervene
      slowing or ending the trip.

      > My partner is convinced it will snow and be too cold end of Aug into
      Sept.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic