784Re: [John Muir Trail] Introduction

  • pdahl2@netscape.net
    Mar 1, 2005
      Vera:
      I solo hiked the JMT in 2003. The Sierras have had more snow this year than in several recent years. Mammoth Mountain received 18 feet of snow in January alone. I would anticipate quite a bit of snow on the trail at the higher elevations through July.

      I got my back country permit though Yosemite's web site. In 2003 you could reserve a permit request 24 weeks in advance. I requested a permit exactly 24 weeks prior to hitting the trail. A week later no further permits were available for that date.

      I resupplied food at Red's Meadow, Vermillion Valley Resort (a great place that welcomes hikers) and Muir Trail Ranch.

      Good luck

      Patrick

      Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:

      >Dear Vera:
      >Howdy...Tony in LA...you're getting good advice from the folks in the group.  I'm going solo June 27 to July something.  So I expect some snow and cold still.  I get my permits from the Yosemite Association(209 372 0740)--leaving from Happy Isles/Little Yosemite and, yes, they affix a special tab for the Whitney Zone...easy as pie...but do it soon for your prefered entry date.  I'm hoping the resupply issues resolve themselves in a dream.
      >

      >V <vjl_47@...> wrote:
      >
      >Hello all,
      >as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
      >others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
      >the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
      >gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
      >summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
      >midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
      >couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
      >Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!
      >
      >I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
      >solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
      >hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
      >husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
      >bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
      >frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
      >tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...
      >
      >thanks more later,
      >vera
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >

      > \
      >   tony

      Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.