764Re: the jmt in may?

  • plockey@austin.rr.com
    Jan 23, 2005
      I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
      summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As many
      know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT each
      year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from the
      south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I think
      that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
      for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I have
      heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt on
      the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
      http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
      Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even be
      the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on the
      Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if you
      do go for it please let me see the pics.

      Good luck
      Paul

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
      <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
      > Hey James-
      >

      > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
      best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting my
      PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about going
      through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the trail
      in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

      > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be able
      to find my way.

      > Thats all for now...
      >
      > Catra
      >

      > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
      >
      > hello folks
      >
      > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even close.
      > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
      may.
      > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
      > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so if
      > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
      > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
      > appreciate it.
      >
      > thanks
      > james from olympia
      > aka soccerball seagull