745Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: car shuttle

  • thomas taylor
    Jan 6, 2005
      Dave,

      You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
      As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
      plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
      I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
      and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
      Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
      Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
      couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
      and had to drive back to the bay area).

      Thomas
      --- Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:

      > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
      > Portal, but I
      > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
      > there someone or a
      > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
      > shuttles while rafting
      > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
      > offers this
      > service.
      >
      > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
      > but after
      > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
      > schedules, I am
      > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
      > longer runs their
      > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"
      > <rrichey@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to
      > south starting
      > > late July or early August, and am interested in
      > arranging a car
      > > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan
      > is to take 17
      > days
      > > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section
      > hiked the JMT
      > 00-
      > > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good
      > idea on how long it
      > > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others
      > in a loose
      > > confederation, but don't want to share gear. -
      > BobR

      =====
      Best regards,

      Thomas