7427Re: [John Muir Trail] Seeking Bearikade Weekender -- borrow or buy

  • Peter Burke
    Feb 2, 2010
      bgomoll@... wrote:

      > Would you care to tell us why you think the bearvault sucks? Thanks

      can one search the archives of this list? I know I've posted this many
      times. In short:

      I find my '08 vintage Bearvault 500 near impossible to open when cold. I
      consider myself to be well educated in physics and understand leverage
      and other concepts that may be useful when it comes to opening an
      oversized child/bearproof pill bottle like this canister. However,
      depressing that lid to get it past the catch is something I barely can
      do at home (I am 6'2" 180 lbs), and certainly would not want to do on a
      daily basis in the mountains, when it gets so cold that the plastic
      won't even flex as far as it does in my 70 degree living room. My kids
      have never been able to open it. That is the main issue I have with it.

      Other reasons, but not enough to run out and buy a Bearikade: smaller,
      heavier, narrower lid.

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic