7246Re: [John Muir Trail] Fwd: The most comprehensive, large detailed JMT map with surrounding roads, spur trail map set

  • Peter Burke
    Jan 26, 2010
      "overkill to take on the hike?" I carried those maps on at least my
      first 5 JMT's - love these maps for planning, and they do look good on
      the wall at home. Had two sets so I was able to pin them on the living
      room wall for a complete JMT overview during the off-season :) For
      many years these maps were unavailable but when I saw them again last
      year I had to buy me another set.

      For detailed pre-hike planning and small printed map versions of areas
      where I expect orientation issues, I prefer 24k maps, which are all
      public domain and freely available. If anyone wants access to some TGA
      files of all the relevant 24k maps along the JMT, let me know. Much
      easier to grab from me than to go through the needlessly complex USGS
      web interface and end up with PDF files you can't do anything with. I
      got my map files from an even more complex to use database at UC Davis.
      I'd upload the 24k maps to the yahoo group, but I think the 756mb in
      files I have would blow well past their file size limit, nor would I
      want my archive to become a general public resource due to the bandwidth
      it could generate.

      Peter

      Roleigh Martin wrote:

      > an oldie but goodie post