700[John Muir Trail] Re: Altitude Sickness

  • ndeewoods
    Jun 1, 2004
      I wouldn't think 4,000 is high enough to acclimate. I would suggest
      staying at Tuolumne meadows campground for a couple days...it's much
      higher and if you just kick back there it might do the trick. Those
      of us who hike high have also learned to tank up on the water for a
      couple of days ahead of time and stay really really hydrated. Hope
      this helps... Dee
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:
      > Thomas
      > I did see a physician about the problem but in the area where I'm
      > from Altitude problems are uncommon. My physician basically had to
      > research the problem himself. That is where I received the drugs
      that
      > I intend to take with me on this trip,
      >
      > Last year when I made the trip I was over 9000ft within 8 hours of
      > leaving Merced and over Cathedral Pass within 24 hours. Then
      Donohue

      <tgtaylor7@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Paul,
      > >
      > > Before you go, check with you physician as to the
      > > reason you're sensitive to altitude. Every year
      > > rescues are needed(usually at night)for people with an
      > > underlying physical condition that suddenly becomes
      > > acute with the altidude. Dont be one of them. Find
      > > out now what the problem is.
      > >
      > > The reason that I'm making this recommendation is
      > > because if you were in decent physical condition and
      > > started from the valley (4000'), you should have been
      > > aclimated to the altitude by the time you started
      > > hitting the passes.
      > >

      > > --- plockey@a... wrote:
      > > > Bill
      > > > Last year I started at Yosemite Valley with the
      > > > intention of heading
      > > > south to Mt. Whitney. I live in Austin, Texas
      > > > (~600ft of elevation).
      > > > The trip started out fine spending the night near
      > > > Sunrise. The next
      > > > day I started feeling not so well after crossing
      > > > Cathedral pass. By
      > > > the time we made Tuolumne Meadows, that day I was
      > > > just about
      > > > finished. I puked for about the last 3 miles into
      > > > camp. The next
      > > > morning all was well until the accent of Donohue
      > > > Pass. We spent the
      > > > night near Waugh Lake and I exited the trail at
      > > > Silver Lake that day.
      > > > I would guess that my problem is at roughly 11,000
      > > > ft.
      > > >
      > > > This year we do intend to spend a day and a half in
      > > > Yosemite Valley.
      > > > I hope it helps because I intend to make the entire
      > > > trip regardless
      > > > if I have to puke all the way down the trail. I hope
      > > > that does not
      > > > happen. I plan to take the drugs with me but would
      > > > rather not use
      > > > them unless I feel the effects of the altitude.
      > > >
      > > > I'm glad to hear about your friend's success in her
      > > > return trip to
      > > > the JMT. I'm hoping for a similar experience.

> [...]
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic