694Re: Altitude Sickness

  • plockey@austin.rr.com
    May 31, 2004
      Bill
      Last year I started at Yosemite Valley with the intention of heading
      south to Mt. Whitney. I live in Austin, Texas (~600ft of elevation).
      The trip started out fine spending the night near Sunrise. The next
      day I started feeling not so well after crossing Cathedral pass. By
      the time we made Tuolumne Meadows, that day I was just about
      finished. I puked for about the last 3 miles into camp. The next
      morning all was well until the accent of Donohue Pass. We spent the
      night near Waugh Lake and I exited the trail at Silver Lake that day.
      I would guess that my problem is at roughly 11,000 ft.

      This year we do intend to spend a day and a half in Yosemite Valley.
      I hope it helps because I intend to make the entire trip regardless
      if I have to puke all the way down the trail. I hope that does not
      happen. I plan to take the drugs with me but would rather not use
      them unless I feel the effects of the altitude.

      I'm glad to hear about your friend's success in her return trip to
      the JMT. I'm hoping for a similar experience.

      Paul

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic