693Re: Altitude Sickness

  • Bill
    May 31 11:55 AM
      Paul, you didn't say at what altitude you had a problem or how
      quickly you reached that altitude. Let me offer an encouraging
      story:

      Several years ago, I day hiked Mt. Whitney with a group of friends.
      One person started having problems (vomiting) on the switchbacks.
      Her husband stayed with her while the rest of the group summited.
      Amazingly she was able to summit (may not have been the smartest
      thing to do), and she was still puking all the way down to the
      bathrooms at high camp. At that point she started feeling better,
      and was strong the rest of the hike.

      A couple of years later, she, her husband and I, through hiked the
      JMT north to south. We spent 2 nights in Yosemite Valley before we
      started. She was fine going over the early passes (Cathedral,
      Donohue) and, by the time we reached Whitney, she was roaring up the
      mountain with absolutely no altitude problems.

      May you find the same success acclimating! My understanding is that
      altitude problems are a combination of being in shape (my friend was
      in great shape just like you) and genetic predisposition. Perhaps
      if you start in the North, you might find you do not need the
      drugs. (I have no experience with the drugs).

      Best of luck to you! Enjoy your hike.
      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:
      > I just joined the group and thought I'd say hi. My friend Brian
      and I
      > are leaving for the JMT on July 18. I was out that way last summer
      > and had some problems with altitude sickness. I will be
      experimenting
      > with diamox and nifedipine. That combined with an off-season
      > conditioning program that could win some a place on a pro sports
      > team, I hope will give me a good trip on the trail. I'm planning
      an
      > Alaska trip next summer and it might include even greater
      altitude.
      > Has anyone on this group had any experience with altitude sickness?
      >
      > Paul
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic