672lockers

  • Ed Lulofs
    May 7, 2004
      While I agree that the bears are a worst problem at the trailheads &
      campgrounds,
      in my experience, bears cruise the JMT.
      I see lots of bear signs, and I see people get their food attacked when
      they don't use cans.
      In the dozen times i have camped on the JMT without a can,
      I have been hit 80% of the time.
      When I use the can(always now!), i never get bothered.

      When the bears get food even once, it is bad and the bears are on the
      path to get shot.

      It is just a fact of life in the sierras now:
      use bear cannisters, filter water, rarely is there enough wood for a
      fire.

      There are a lots of places in the sierras where the bears are not a
      problem. North of Yosemite on the PCT, for example, they hunt bears and
      people don't even hang food. Remote areas with few people have no
      bears.
      But the JMT has heavy and regular bear patrols in my experience.

      Bear lockers are going out of favor:
      1) they concentrate camping in that area,
      2) they are expensive to install and maintain,
      3) people cache food in them,
      4) people leave trash in them. The burden is on the rangers.
      Bear canisters on the other hand have none of these disadvantages for
      the rangers, the burden is on the hiker.
      As hikers we may not like that, but I consider it a fact of life in the
      sierras now.
      Ed

      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 07:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
      From: thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Bear canisters

      Bear lockers are located on the far southern portion
      of the trail around Onion Valley where the bears are
      "bad bears." Personally I have never seen a bear on
      the JMT above the tree-line. Most of the trail runs
      above the tree line where there is not much food for
      bears to forage for and I've never seen a bear yet
      that's doin' the JMT. Where you will run into bears
      is in the campgrounds along the trail, like Tuolumne
      Mdws, and where the trail drops down below the tree
      line.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic