6603Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Ideal JMT Sleeping Bag (July 12 - Aug 4)

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Jan 2, 2010
      Hi John,
      I'm interested why you take a bivy sack and a tent?  Is it to protect the down bag in deluges or for star sleeping?!  Thanks, B
      PS. Still loving the book!

      Barbara

      On Jan 2, 2010, at 9:52 AM, "John" <shop@...> wrote:

      I use a 800 fill 24oz bag for all my summer Sierra trips. The bag has no side baffle so all the down may be shifted to top when needed. I am a warm sleeper. If the nights get cold I wear more cloths inside, camp low if need be. Remember that a tent adds significant "warmth" to the ambient air temperature.
      Last August I was a little chilly camped below Forester Pass when the temps fell to the teens. This is rare and usually won't last more than a day or two.

      I usually take a tarp and a bivi sack, the latter also adds warmth. On my '08 JMT hike I literally sat out a 3 hour deluge at Guitar Lake that turned to an all night drizzle, I was wishing I had a tent! (the same cell that flooded Independence)

      John Dittli
      www.johndittli. com

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "skdupre" <duprelufkin@ ...> wrote:

      > Obviously over the course of 3 weeks the JMT is going to have a variety of weather. I've heard of 90's in the valley and freezing temps above 10k ft. I have a 2 lb 45 degree bag and a 4 lb 0 degree bag. I'm considering forking down the bucks for a Big Agnes 20 degree bag at 30 oz.
      >
      > It would be nice to hear from JMT veterans and those planning a 2010 thru hike.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic