6538Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT book

  • Peter Burke
    Dec 17, 2009
      Roleigh Martin wrote:
      > This is incredibly good. What is the pricing, it gives a range of
      > pricing when you click on the link, based upon the page count and
      > paper quality. What is your page count?

      > http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing
      > <http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing>
      > Phenomenally fantastic job. What software is used to put the book
      > together. My hat is off to you. I am really impressed.

      120 - I marked it up a whopping $10 off the raw cost if you do it
      yourself. Premium paper in that large size is pretty expensive.

      Before I started, I bought a $50 book in smaller format before I took
      the plunge to do this for my kids, figuring I didn't want to buy $ 200
      worth of books and hate the quality in the end. If you feel like making
      a book there, just browse what they have and find something you can give
      somebody else as a gift - I bought a book about the Boundary Waters of
      Minnesota for a friend who loves to go there, and he totally loves the
      book. For me it was a sign that the printing really is great. The
      software - well, it's 95% the free download "Booksmart" you get from
      Blurb. All I did in addition was a very small amount of Photoshop to
      create the large sat maps from Google (and make sure to follow their
      conditions for appropriate use and crediting). That part took almost as
      long as writing the text and doing the layout for the entire thing. The
      photos are all off a small Canon camera I carried as a backup along next
      to the HD campcorder (taking still images was not really part of the
      plan this year), so the images could have been a little better, however,
      they printed very well and the resolution was enough for some full page
      spreads.

      Peter

      > On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Peter Burke <pburke@...
      > <mailto:pburke@...>> wrote:
      >
      > I just published my first book I guess, and even though I don't expect
      > anyone but myself to buy it, here's a link with full preview so
      > you can
      > get some ideas of what to do with your next batch of JMT photos (these
      > Blurb books aren't cheap, but then they are one-off and for that they
      > are amazing)
      >
      > http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1047557
      > <http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1047557>
      >
      > abstract - if you have some 11-year-old twins you're trying to
      > convince
      > that they JMT is the thing to do next summer, this book is for you. I
      > made the book to get them motivated for bigger things in 2010 by
      > giving
      > them something of real substance to help them realize how special
      > their
      > last trip was.
      >
      > Peter

      > (Yahoo! ID required)