6532Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Question about cost and time

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Dec 9, 2009
      Hi Jonathan, I also live in Sac if a family member could not give me a ride to YV was planning to take the Grayhound bus(8002132222) to Mercer then take YRATS (8779892787)to YV at the end going to take TAST (8009221930)to Reno and then the grayhound Sac.

      From: "Jonathan" <jonnyboy9543@...>
      Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:19:58 -0000
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Question about cost and time

      So, basically, this is what I'm hearing:

      PACK YOUR OWN FOOD. That seems to be a big one in terms of save space, weight and money. Good thing to know.

      Seems like the dates I have planned out are going to be mid-mosquito season. Time to whip out the Deet.

      People have also mentioned public transportation. I'm in Sacramento, so basically a little ways farther up on the train route. But it'll cost me $70 there and back, not including and shuttle rides or anything like that. I guess I should be looking at about and additional $50 to cover costs for taking public transportation from Whitney back up, correct?

      So as far as total cost goes, should I be looking at a price somewhere around about $400-$500? That's the total that I kinda estimated in my head by factoring in cost of food, the cost of shipping stuff to drop points, transportation, and a little extra in case something goes wrong. Is that about right?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Eric" <egerber@... > wrote:

      > First, your dates should be good depending on the snow fall for the year. Check out
      >
      > http://cdec. water.ca. gov/cgi-progs/ snow/PLOT_ SWC
      >
      > for a plot of the snow course for the year. In a light snow year to average snow year, you'll have no trouble with snow or river crossings at that time. In a really heavy year, you may have to make some plans for snow. Mosquitos generally reach there peak of awful about three weeks after the snow melts away at a given elevation so if it is an average year plan on mosquitoes. Those light weight head nets can be really helpful to keep them out of your face when you are cooking.
      >
      > On the food topic, you can pack in more calories for less weight, volume, and $ making up your own meals. There are number of great recipes on line. Search on packbag paella to start. If you are going to buy "inflata-meals" I think Adventure Foods has the best tasting. Hiking the JMT is way more energy intensive than backpacking almost any other trail in the US so don't short yourself on calories. Shoot to come back the same weight you left. Pair back on weight in other categories before you cut back on food. Plan on 1.5 to 2 pounds per day of food weight depending on how big you are and your metabolism.
      >
      > On weather, the weather is usually great in the Sierra's that time of year. The thunderstorms are usually most frequent in the north around Yosemite and tend to be more frequent in August rather than July. It is likely that you will go all three weeks and never have a drop on your head. It is also possible, but unlikely, that you will have sleet and sub freezing temperatures. Be prepared. Storms don't tend to last long in the Sierras so I tend to focus on having a very waterproof tent and a warm sleeping bag to hide out in in case of a storm and minimize weight on rain gear. Use a heavy duty plastic garbage bag with two holes in it for a pack cover.
      >
      > The best way I have found to get to the start of the JMT on a budget is to take the train from the Bay Area. The train leaves from Emeryville, stops in Merced and then a bus takes you the rest of the way to Yosemite valley. If you have a permit you can camp in the backpackers campground next to the Awahenee for free and its a short walk to Happy Isles from there. This is an awesome spot to camp and there are no reservations needed. Getting home can be tricky but involves hitch hiking from Whitney Portal down to Lone Pine (easy) bussing it up to Toulomne Meadows and then down into the valley and reversing from there. The buses are a pain in the neck but it is the cheap way to go short of yo-yoing.
      >
      > One other point of advice, do use all your resupply options. It is so much more pleasent to carry less wight and resupply more frequently. My recommendations are to resupply at Red's Meadow and the Muir Trail Ranch at the very least.
      >
      > Eric

> [...]

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic