6525Re: Question about cost and time

  • skdupre
    Dec 8, 2009
      Jonathan,

      If your dates are solid, it's likely I'll see you on the trail. I will be starting at Happy Isles on July 12 with a finish date at Whitney Portal of Aug. 4 (I've already bought my plane tickets). I'll be faxing in my permit request, but if I don't get my dates then I'll show up at the office early. It's a little awkward being on a Monday because I can't pick up the permit the day before and hit the trail early so looks like I'll be getting a late start. I am also going to the Post Office in Yosemite that morning to mail my extras to Lone Pine. Hope to see you on the trail. I'll be the one with the Big Bend NP patch on my hat.

      skd

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <jonnyboy9543@...> wrote:

      > Hey all, so I'm trying to get an average idea of how much it'll cost me to do the entire trip. I have all my own gear (or access to that which I don't own), but am on a tight (college student) budget. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can save a few bucks here and there, and a rough estimate as to how much it'll end up costing? I know it's important to get good, healthy meals while on the trail, but I'm not sure I can afford all the prepackaged, dehydrated meals. A few per leg of the trail is fine, but other than that...
      >
      > One last question: Due to me going to college and needing time to repack before heading out again, I was planning on going from Happy Isles to Whitney July 13-August 6 or 8. Should I anticipate more temperamental weather during that time, or are my dates fairly solid?
      >
      > Thanks to all ahead of time for your helpful guidance!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic