      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: ed_rodriguez52@...
      Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 01:56:15 +0000
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

      Its my understand that you fill the form out on line but they ask you either to fax it or mail the form

      From: jeff.hester <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com>
      Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 01:52:20 -0000
      To: <johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com>

      Out of curiosity (and slightly off-topic), why do you recommend faxing your permit app in versus doing it online?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@... > wrote:

      > Hi Jonathan - Dates look good - agree with what Bob said - mosquitoes could
      > be bad - you'll likely need a headnet, and I presprayed my clothes with
      > permethrin - some people use Deet too - others dislike it. Weather - should
      > be good, but be prepared - there was a snow storm warning around Aug 7 or 8
      > this year! (didn't happen tho). I've heard rumors of an El Nino winter
      > which means wetter than its been the last few years -this would in turn
      > translate to snow at passes and deeper/faster stream crossings in places.
      > Also concur with making allowance for time getting to and from the trail -
      > and for getting your permit, if you're not nagging it in advance. If you're
      > getting it in advance, then fax in your written request at a nano second
      > past midnight, 24 weeks ahead of your trail entry date. Food etc. You can
      > rent a bear canister from Wild Ideas.com - either the Weekender or the
      > Expedition. They are $50 flat rate rental fee if you tell them you're doing
      > the JMT. Check their site for sizes and rental form. Add to that the cost
      > of mailing it back to them when you're done. Food - well it has to fit in
      > your canister, other than what you're eating that day or for dinner that
      > night. This includes smelly toiletries etc. Figure out everything you
      > need, and premeasured it out to reduce weight and waste. Food - go for the
      > dense high calorie stuff. I've used the prepackaged dehydrated stuff but it
      > gets old very quickly (to the taste buds). Also tortillas, bean paste,
      > salami, PB. Good luck - Barbara
      >

      > _____

      Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic