6521Re: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Dec 7, 2009
      Re permit - faxing it cos for the last couple of years at least you couldn't fo it online, and phones don't open til 8am at which time they give 1st options to the faxes that came in first after midnight!

      Barbara

      On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:52 PM, jeff.hester <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Out of curiosity (and slightly off-topic), why do you recommend faxing your permit app in versus doing it online?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@... > wrote:

      > Hi Jonathan - Dates look good - agree with what Bob said - mosquitoes could
      > be bad - you'll likely need a headnet, and I presprayed my clothes with
      > permethrin - some people use Deet too - others dislike it. Weather - should
      > be good, but be prepared - there was a snow storm warning around Aug 7 or 8
      > this year! (didn't happen tho). I've heard rumors of an El Nino winter
      > which means wetter than its been the last few years -this would in turn
      > translate to snow at passes and deeper/faster stream crossings in places.
      > Also concur with making allowance for time getting to and from the trail -
      > and for getting your permit, if you're not nagging it in advance. If you're
      > getting it in advance, then fax in your written request at a nano second
      > past midnight, 24 weeks ahead of your trail entry date. Food etc. You can
      > rent a bear canister from Wild Ideas.com - either the Weekender or the
      > Expedition. They are $50 flat rate rental fee if you tell them you're doing
      > the JMT. Check their site for sizes and rental form. Add to that the cost
      > of mailing it back to them when you're done. Food - well it has to fit in
      > your canister, other than what you're eating that day or for dinner that
      > night. This includes smelly toiletries etc. Figure out everything you
      > need, and premeasured it out to reduce weight and waste. Food - go for the
      > dense high calorie stuff. I've used the prepackaged dehydrated stuff but it
      > gets old very quickly (to the taste buds). Also tortillas, bean paste,
      > salami, PB. Good luck - Barbara
      >

      > _____

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic