6518Re: Question about cost and time

  • John
    Dec 7, 2009
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:
      > I've never used the freeze dried meals. All my meals were homemade
      from what is available from the supermarket for most of it. Noodles &
      Sauce, Rice and Sauce, etc. I use soy meat that you can get at health
      food stores and the some supermarkets. Thia does require you to cook
      and you would need a few more pots. There are lots of almost instant
      foods available. For bread I make biscuit mix or one could use
      Bisquick. Complete pancake mix works well but you will need a frypan.
      > That time frame will intersect the summer monsoon but will usually
      only last an hour or so.
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" jonnyboy9543@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey all, so I'm trying to get an average idea of how much it'll cost
      me to do the entire trip. I have all my own gear (or access to that
      which I don't own), but am on a tight (college student) budget. Does
      anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can save a few bucks here
      and there, and a rough estimate as to how much it'll end up costing? I
      know it's important to get good, healthy meals while on the trail, but
      I'm not sure I can afford all the prepackaged, dehydrated meals. A few
      per leg of the trail is fine, but other than that...

      > > One last question: Due to me going to college and needing time to
      repack before heading out again, I was planning on going from Happy
      Isles to Whitney July 13-August 6 or 8. Should I anticipate more
      temperamental weather during that time, or are my dates fairly solid?

      > > Thanks to all ahead of time for your helpful guidance!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic