6517Re: Question about cost and time

  • hmdsierra
    Dec 7, 2009
      I've never used the freeze dried meals. All my meals were homemade from what is available from the supermarket for most of it. Noodles & Sauce, Rice and Sauce, etc. I use soy meat that you can get at health food stores and the some supermarkets. Thia does require you to cook and you would need a few more pots. There are lots of almost instant foods available. For bread I make biscuit mix or one could use Bisquick. Complete pancake mix works well but you will need a frypan.

      That time frame will intersect the summer monsoon but will usually only last an hour or so.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <jonnyboy9543@...> wrote:

      > Hey all, so I'm trying to get an average idea of how much it'll cost me to do the entire trip. I have all my own gear (or access to that which I don't own), but am on a tight (college student) budget. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can save a few bucks here and there, and a rough estimate as to how much it'll end up costing? I know it's important to get good, healthy meals while on the trail, but I'm not sure I can afford all the prepackaged, dehydrated meals. A few per leg of the trail is fine, but other than that...
      >
      > One last question: Due to me going to college and needing time to repack before heading out again, I was planning on going from Happy Isles to Whitney July 13-August 6 or 8. Should I anticipate more temperamental weather during that time, or are my dates fairly solid?
      >
      > Thanks to all ahead of time for your helpful guidance!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic