6515RE: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Dec 7, 2009

      Hi Jonathan – Dates look good – agree with what Bob said – mosquitoes could be bad – you’ll likely need a headnet, and I presprayed my clothes with permethrin – some people use Deet too – others dislike it.  Weather – should be good, but be prepared – there was a snow storm warning around Aug 7 or 8  this year!  (didn’t happen tho).  I’ve heard rumors of an El Nino winter which means wetter than its been the last few years –this would in turn translate to snow at passes and deeper/faster stream crossings in places.  Also concur with making allowance for time getting to and from the trail – and for getting your permit, if you’re not nagging it in advance.  If you’re getting it in advance, then fax in your written request at a nano second past midnight, 24 weeks ahead of your trail entry date. Food etc.  You can rent a bear canister from Wild Ideas.com – either the Weekender or the Expedition.  They are $50 flat rate rental fee if you tell them you’re doing the JMT.  Check their site for sizes and rental form.  Add to that the cost of mailing it back to them when you’re done.  Food – well it has to fit in your canister, other than what you’re eating that day or for dinner that night.  This includes smelly toiletries etc.  Figure out everything you need, and premeasured it out to reduce weight and waste. Food – go for the dense high calorie stuff.  I’ve used the prepackaged dehydrated stuff but it gets old very quickly (to the taste buds). Also tortillas, bean paste, salami, PB.   Good luck - Barbara

      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Jonathan
      Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 7:34 PM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

      Hey all, so I'm trying to get an average idea of how much it'll cost me to do the entire trip. I have all my own gear (or access to that which I don't own), but am on a tight (college student) budget. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can save a few bucks here and there, and a rough estimate as to how much it'll end up costing? I know it's important to get good, healthy meals while on the trail, but I'm not sure I can afford all the prepackaged, dehydrated meals. A few per leg of the trail is fine, but other than that...

      One last question: Due to me going to college and needing time to repack before heading out again, I was planning on going from Happy Isles to Whitney July 13-August 6 or 8. Should I anticipate more temperamental weather during that time, or are my dates fairly solid?

      Thanks to all ahead of time for your helpful guidance!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic