6514Re: Question about cost and time

  • Maxim
    Dec 7, 2009
      Cost, time & weight - is related parameters. You can safe some $ by using public transportation/hitchhiking at start/end, but this options can add few days to the trip.

      About food it is really depend from you personal pref. 2/3 of my died was ramen soup and instant oatmeal, both items are light and extremely cheap.

      Also it depend from time you spend on trail.... More time on trail => you need more food => heavy backpack => even more time on trail ;)

      So, it is all related. I think you cost will be minimized if you can spend ~ 2x2 days approach and ~ 12 days on the trail. In this case you can use only one resupply, and public transportation.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <jonnyboy9543@...> wrote:

      > Hey all, so I'm trying to get an average idea of how much it'll cost me to do the entire trip. I have all my own gear (or access to that which I don't own), but am on a tight (college student) budget. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can save a few bucks here and there, and a rough estimate as to how much it'll end up costing? I know it's important to get good, healthy meals while on the trail, but I'm not sure I can afford all the prepackaged, dehydrated meals. A few per leg of the trail is fine, but other than that...
      >
      > One last question: Due to me going to college and needing time to repack before heading out again, I was planning on going from Happy Isles to Whitney July 13-August 6 or 8. Should I anticipate more temperamental weather during that time, or are my dates fairly solid?
      >
      > Thanks to all ahead of time for your helpful guidance!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic