6513RE: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

  • robert shattuck
    Dec 7, 2009
      I almost forget (and it's only 320 a.m.) aside from food, while on the trail, there's also the incidental stuff . . . backpackers camp in the valley is five a night . . . Tuolomne is also five a night.

      Red's varies, depending on how many in camp, but you could end up spending $9-10 just for the night . . . don't forget $10-15 for burger and what not.

      Vermilion is a nice place to stop for the night, but you can end up paying $90 and up once you pay for, say, round-trip on the boat, package pick-up, shower, laundry, $20-25 per (dinner, b-fast) meal . . . beers, junk food, phone call, internet time and the BIG pisser––ALL the tent cabins used to be free the first night, but now, or this past summer, only one was free and the others, well, we had to pay, I think it was $52 . . . luckily there were four of us.

      Muir trail ranch won't cost you a thing unless you pick up a drop there, or buy fuel for a few dollars.

      once you come off whitney, you might be tempted to buy a burger at the portal and beers?

      or get a motel room down in Lone Pine ($55)

      and then there's that getting home thing . . .

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: jonnyboy9543@...
      Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 03:33:59 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

      Hey all, so I'm trying to get an average idea of how much it'll cost me to do the entire trip. I have all my own gear (or access to that which I don't own), but am on a tight (college student) budget. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can save a few bucks here and there, and a rough estimate as to how much it'll end up costing? I know it's important to get good, healthy meals while on the trail, but I'm not sure I can afford all the prepackaged, dehydrated meals. A few per leg of the trail is fine, but other than that...

      One last question: Due to me going to college and needing time to repack before heading out again, I was planning on going from Happy Isles to Whitney July 13-August 6 or 8. Should I anticipate more temperamental weather during that time, or are my dates fairly solid?

      Thanks to all ahead of time for your helpful guidance!

      Windows Live™ Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic