6511Re: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Dec 6, 2009
      Hi Jonathan, at REI if you buy 12 food item such as your dinners, power bar at time you get 10 per cent off. You can go to the store and buy rice or noodle ronie dinner. Cost for me as far as food is 2 power bars per day for 27 days is $81. Freeze dry inners $176 fuel $25. Snacks $60. If you can spread what you buy over the next 6 months. Need to take into account in shipping cost. Plan out your menu how much store bought food you can get. But remember space in your bear vault, I started to get food and loading up my bear vault only to find out that I ran out of room of the stuff that I did had (only had 1 freeze dry dinner and 3 lunch items. So back to drawing board for me. Good luck hope to see you on the trail.

      From: "Jonathan" <jonnyboy9543@...>
      Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 03:33:59 -0000
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Question about cost and time

      Hey all, so I'm trying to get an average idea of how much it'll cost me to do the entire trip. I have all my own gear (or access to that which I don't own), but am on a tight (college student) budget. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can save a few bucks here and there, and a rough estimate as to how much it'll end up costing? I know it's important to get good, healthy meals while on the trail, but I'm not sure I can afford all the prepackaged, dehydrated meals. A few per leg of the trail is fine, but other than that...

      One last question: Due to me going to college and needing time to repack before heading out again, I was planning on going from Happy Isles to Whitney July 13-August 6 or 8. Should I anticipate more temperamental weather during that time, or are my dates fairly solid?

      Thanks to all ahead of time for your helpful guidance!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic