6375Re: [John Muir Trail] Oldest JMT Thru-hiker - Photos [5 Attachments]

  • Sim Ong
    Nov 1, 2009
      Hats off to Al and Dale for completing the whole JMT at their ages.

      From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, November 1, 2009 1:37:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Oldest JMT Thru-hiker - Photos [5 Attachments]

      Attached are 4 photos of Al and Dale, starting with Roleigh and Chuck Turner seeing and photographing them on day 2 (july 20, 2009), July 25, july 26, and photos emailed to me of them on Aug 10.

      On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:50 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@gmail. com> wrote:
      We already noted Camden Watson, the 7 year old hiker who completed the
      JMT this year NoBo with his Dad and older brother, breaking the
      "youngest ever" record (set in 1982).

      I just learned from Al Patrick (age 72) that he and a friend, Dale
      Easton (age 75), completed the trail SoBo this year in 21 days (July
      19 to August 10).  The old record, according to Ralph and Susan
      Alcorn's site (backpack45.com) was 71, so they both broke the record
      (set in 2008).  Not a bad pace. especially in light of the snowstorm
      that apparently required a delay at Woods Creek.

      Al says that they met Camden as they crossed NoBo and SoBo routes near
      the midpoint of the Trail (I gather roughly along the Bear Creek
      section).  That would have been a good picture.

      I know that Roleigh met Al and Dale along the route and I'm sure many
      others did also.

      John Curran Ladd

      === Al's message ============

      I noted in a posting that the oldest JMT thru hiker was 71.  Dale
      Easton and I, Alfred Patrick, thru hiked the JMT this summer (2009),
      hiking north to south.  Dale is 75 years old and I am 72.  Because of
      availability of hiking permits, we had to hike from Tuolumne Meadows
      (beginning July 19) to Yosemite Valley.  We got a bus from Yosemite
      Valley back to Tuolumne Meadows and headed south to Mt. Whitney.  On
      August 10 we completed the trail by hiking from Guitar Lake to the
      summit of Mt. Whitney, then down to Whitney Portal--a long hard day
      for us.  A day north of Muir Trail Ranch we met and talked with the
      youngest JMT thru hiker, Camden Watson, his brother, and his father.

      Dale and I have section hiked al of the AT.  Dale lives in Branson,
      MO, and I live in Richmond, KY.

      Al Patrick

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional