624Re: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • ndeewoods
    Oct 28, 2003
      And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand by
      that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top of
      Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
      is...
      Dee
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer" <jdrows@c...>
      wrote:
      > That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where
      does it start
      > from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line.
      True that
      > there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga
      Road and it's
      > safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road,
      but as I
      > understand it, the northern side is more official.
      >
      > When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were
      diverting the
      > course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to
      avoid the
      > "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.
      >
      > It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
      > Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make
      decisions
      > based on societal mores in the late 18th century.
      >
      > Adapt and enjoy.
      > JD
      > JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic