      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: barbara@...
      Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 06:25:02 -0700
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Pots and water cleansing

      Thanks got the suggestion about the pot bottom Don. Good idea. Re the water,I used to use an MSR Sweetwater filter which worked great but I was trying to lighten up. I used a Hyperflow last year which was useless and got returned. Way too slow. This year I toyed with a gravity filter but didn't trust it. Then I purchased a Steripen Adventurer which quit functioning at 1000 Island Lake. I sent it back and the company fixed it - something had come loose inside and was interfering with the contact.  I've used it since , on a 3 day trip, but don't trust it now either!  I always carry back up micropur tabs and have used them, tho strictly speakingbone is supposedctovwait 4 hours for them to work. Waiting 30 mins leaves a faint taste, waiting overnight Theres  no taste at all. Expensive for a long trip for 3 people tho.

      Sent from my iPhone.

      On Sep 28, 2009, at 9:01 PM, "don.amundson" <don.amundson@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      Back to this before I forget. Regarding the pot sliding off your stove. Try roughing up the bottom of the pot with sandpaper or a handy granite rock. I had a small fry pan for fish which moved around on my stove like it was on ball bearings. Once I roughed up the bottom it was like it was glued down. Question--what was your water cleansing issue? Don

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@... > wrote:

      > Don, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to reading all about your trip.
      > I'm already plotting for 2010 and reviewing gear issues while they're still
      > fresh in my mind. Is there anything you 9and everyone) found that didn't
      > work as well as hoped, or was a total success? Thanks so much.
      >

      > For me, failures/not as hoped were Montbell pillow (personal taste),
      > Steripen Adventurer (since replaced by manufacturer - something interfering
      > with a contact point - has worked OK on a later trip), and my 0.9L AGG pot
      > slides off my Snopeak stove way too easily! My 2L pot never had that issue.
      >

      > Great stuff were: Neoair, Big Agnes Copper Spur tent for 2 and for 3, GG
      > sheet that I used as a footprint, trash compacter bag as a pack liner (good
      > for falling off logs into streams, when a pack cover would not have been
      > effective), Crocs with Velcro heel fasteners for streams (after I gave up on
      > logs), my Catalyst pack except the sidepockets are too far back to get
      > anything out of when one is solo hiking, so I need to set up some sort of
      > front pack (even tho it has huge hip belt pockets) for snacks and water. My
      > hip pockets held map, Garmin Vista, reading glasses in hard case, jelly
      > beans, micropur tabs, and more. Also good - MH Phantom 15 down bag,
      > Montbell Inner down jacket (7 ozs).
      >

      > To be solved - water cleansing, and stove system. And also the perfect
      > raincoat (weight versus waterproofness versus breathability. Barbara
      >

      > _____

      Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailĀ®. See how.
    • Show all 36 messages in this topic