590Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Running the JMT in July

  • Bill
    Jun 4, 2003
      John,

      A few suggestions:

      You might want to read this account of running the
      JMT. This guy had support from his father:
      http://www.run100s.com/JMT/jmt98bw.txt

      Resupply: Red's Meadows is right off the trail (about
      100 yards) in Mammoth. If you can carry enough food
      for 165 miles, that is the place to resupply. Here is
      their web site:
      http://www.mammothweb.com/redsmeadow/

      If you want to cache food (to break up the long
      section), I would suggest either 1) Woods Creek
      Crossing (about 56 miles or 2 days from Whitney
      Portal) or 2) Le Conte Canyon off Dusy Creek (about
      midway on the long section).

      Woods Creek Crossing has a bear box to cache your food
      (I've never had anyone steal my food). The Crossing
      is about 14 miles each way from Cedar Grove.

      Le Conte Canyon is about 13 miles each way from South
      Lake Trail head. It does NOT have a bear box, so you
      will have to use a different method to store your
      food. Perhaps you can find a friend to meet you at
      either place!

      Bears: I suggest reading Ray Jardine's book: "Beyond
      Backpacking: Ray Jardine's Guide to Lightweight
      Hiking". He has an excellent discussion of avoiding
      Bears (among other solid advice). The basics: Don't
      cook or eat where you sleep (bears have a great sense
      of smell) and sleep away from normal camping spots.

      I would add: sleep at bear boxes if possible! Here is
      a site that lists the bear boxes on the southern
      portion of the trail:
      http://www.nps.gov/seki/bear_box.htm

      There are also bear boxes at Reds Meadows and Tuolumne
      campground.

      Hope this helps. Please feel free to email me with
      any questions. Have a great run!
      Best, Bill

      --- john radich <johnrultrarunner@...> wrote:
      > Hi JMT Friends,
      >
      > I am looking at running JMT this summer. South to
      > North and finish at Happy Isles campground. Have not
      > been on it. To make this more interesting, I am
      > running the Death valley ultramarathon in July. I do
      > plan to do Mt Whitney and then JMT with what engery
      > have left.. Re: food caches, who do I contact on
      > sending some supplies to? Any tips on how to store
      > food from the bears and critters? I can't carry the
      > bear container since I am limited on space in my
      > pack.
      > I won't be in the tree line for a bit so hanging up
      > my
      > food won't suffice.
      > I know there are experienced JMT hikers and
      > backpackers who have much wisdom from hard won
      > experience. Your the ones who know. I am willing to
      > listen what you all can suggest and offer me. I am
      > carrying my own Sweet Water filter. Maybe a light
      > weight stove, haven't decided on that yet.
      > Like to cover a marathon to a 50km a day. Easier
      > said
      > than done, eh?
      > Drop me an email. Like to hear from you.
      > Happy trails,
      > John "JR" Radich

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic